RN HISTORIC FLT

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by alre-junglie, Feb 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HAS ANYONE WONDERED OR DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE HISTORIC FLT DOES NOT HAVE ANY ROTARY WING AIRCRAFT IN IT ?

SURELY WITH THE ASSOCIATED FAA HISTORY AND AT TIMES THE ONLY AIRCRAFT IN THE FAA, IT WOULD BE FITTING TO HAVE AN AIRWORTHY HELICOPTER AND NOT JUST PROPS AND JETS?

WESSEX 5 GETS MY VOTE. :wink:

2. STOP SHOUTING!! Or do you think there are some artillery in here?

3. I'd like to see a Wyvern , but that's not going to happen :(

Isn't there a RN Historic chopper flight already?

4. Not sure,there not too many to be had though.Whirlwind,Wessex,Wasp.might be too much wonga to keep them aloft.

5. Isn't there a RN Historic chopper flight already?

Sea Kings perhaps??????

6. The Royal Navy Historic Flight does in fact own three helicopters; two Wessex V's and a Wasp. These are currently at Sultan, soon to be moved to Yeovilton.

However, there are no plans to get them into a flying condition in the immediate future, as (like everywhere else) there is no money to make them airworthy at present.

Please make your donations to RNHF, RNAS Yeovilton ............

7. Is it purely for financial reasons that they will not become airworthy, or other issues, i.e. spares etc ?

8. Yeah but, no but, yeah!

Spare cost money, so the answer is yes to both your questions!

9. How can a Wessex 5, be classed as historic? I was QM Wessie 5 in 1983.

10. They should have nicked that Sea Fury T.20 from Shaibiza.

If they want to raise that Wyvern from Portland Harbour, I'll donate to that though :)

11. ... but you wouldn't want to fly it!!!

12. Rotary's not exactly the steely harbingers of death that the general public want (and will pay) to see, is it? Swordfish flying the Ensign - yes. A Wessex?

13. You must understand the cost involved - it's not acquiring the aircraft, it's the cost of bringing an aircraft up to flying standard, gaining CAA approval, maintaining it in that condition and finding people competent to fly it. The Royal Navy Historic Flight is a reistered charity - it is not funded (unlike the RAF Battle of Britain Flight) by the MoD - it relies totally upon contributions (stand fast a little bit from CinCFleet). All credit to the current General Manager of RNHF who has finagled a Wasp aircraft in flying condition from a private owner. As an ex Dragonfly, Whirlwind Mk 3 and Whirlwind Mk 7 maintainer, I would love to seem them flying - economically, it 'aint going to be viable.

fido

14. I remember many moons ago at Coventry airfield listening with "THE SHACKLETON ASSOCIATION" to the mighty griffon roaring away. The next day it was bound for the USA to be granted a license to once again take to the sky. Then return to the UK. So many rules and regulations here they thought it best to go Stateside.

The "Old Grey Lady" never returned. If she is taking to the sky over the USA I know not. It would have been nice to see her in a "DIVE" again with Griffons roaring away and all those bolts flying in close formation. How many did they say??

15. They are, however, officially classified as MoD aircraft. Last time I was looking around the collection they'd just finished arguing with someone in Whitehall over this very point. Seems it makes quite a difference to their upkeep.

16. Backpacker

WL790 is apparently part of the Commemorative Air Force (used to be the Confederate AF but have gone a bit PC). The aircraft is at Midland Texas (see link below) and appears to be non-flyable currently, although was flying as recently as 2005.

http://www.airsho.org/airsho-aircraft/index.shtml

17. Backpacker,
    There's also an ex SAAF Shack MR3 which is still flying in South Africa which features in this months 'Flypast' magazine (cue spotter banter!).
    Regards,
    MM

18. You should get the magazine 'Flypast' its quite good for news on whats flying and what ain't and where they all are.

At the moment the biggest hang up is insurance costs for some of the old warbirds in the UK . Apart from the CAA certification which once granted isn't that difficult to adhere to.

Lots of the bigger aircraft now do Taxi runs only and don't get airborne.

The Shackletons---I think most of them are in South Africa they have a couple flying aswell.

19. I haven't bent a Wessex is such a long time........ bring 'em on!

20. Thanks Part Timer,

You are absolutely right - the aircraft are on the MoD register and are subject to the same display rules and regulations that apply to in service aircraft but there are some variations and omissions and those were exposed when we lost the Sea Fury with the tragic loss of two lives at Duxford. It must be recognised that, whilst the MoD enjoys the publicity and kudos of the RN Historic Flight, the funding is down (in the main) to the good will of benefactors and the hard work of volunteers and the RNHF staff - there is no such thing as a 'free lunch' and it's about time that our masters learned that!

Yours aye,

fido