Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RN Handbook / Book Exchange

ksvb5368

Midshipman
Hi,

I have a 2003 copy of the RN handbook but as I have my AIB coming up I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Given how impossible the current one is to track down, would anyone be willing to photocopy me some bits out of their and in exchange I can send you a copy of one of these titles:

How to Pass The Royal Navy AIB
British Warships & Auxiliaries - Steve Bush
The Armed Forces of the UK 2010 - 2011.

I know its mostly the same information, but I just don't want to leave anything to chance and although 8 years old now, the official handbook is by far the best out of the ones I have.

Alternatively, if anyone has one for sale, i'd be more than willing to buy it.

Thanks.

ksvb5368

Midshipman
Yeah, trust me if hunting down a recent-ish copy of that book was as easy as logging onto amazon I'd have done it a long time ago!

My AIB is in a month and the 2012 was delayed until December as far as I believe, hence why this is my last ditch attempt!

C

cúnt

The current one has been withdrawn pending alteration. That is why you can't find it. The old one is as good as you will get at the moment..

If you doubt me I'll kill you (I'm not often helpful and I'm weeping saying something constructive).

yamyamdabber

War Hero
Ive got some thumbed through copies of Razzle that will do you in good stead onboard, sorry nothing of use for AIB though.

19jw89

Badgeman
The information contained in the other books you mentioned is generally sufficient - more up to date as well in most cases, particularly if you going by most recent editions. Like yourself, I was waiting for the new RN handbook to be released so that I could get my hands on the most up to date information, but I managed to pass without it. Like others have mentioned, the book isn't even in print yet, so you will not be getting any information out of it

My advice to you is to use those books you've already got, the advice found on these forums, the internet with particular reference to the now updated RN website (and by god did they get that right!) and Wikipedia (open source, but generally pretty good). Also, for use with ship recognition (something I will recommend), try this: Royal_Navy_Ships_Subs_Planes_Pullout - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

I ended up zooming into each vessel type so that I got key statistics, then 'Print' and select 'Print View' - it's helpful, if a tad out of date now (still incl. Harrier, Jetstream, Type 22 etc.) I actually just noticed for the first time that Soleil put it up... can't believe I didn't see that earlier

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
Yes, that has all the required info, I've found. Be sure to check it first, don't bother looking at the Harriers, T22s and Batch 2 T42s. Some may need more material to help remember. I've got a very good memory, but others may not.

Last edited:

19jw89

Badgeman
Yes, that has all the required info, I've found. Be sure to check it first, don't bother looking at the Harriers, T22s and Batch 2 T42s. Some may need more material to help remember. I've got a very good memory, but others may not.

HMS Liverpool? She's still in service.

ksvb5368

Midshipman
Notice how I have said "the current one" ie 2011! I know the 2012 one is not out yet.

The 2003 handbook that I have is alot better than the other books for information relating to things like the future navy etc. As I have said I dont want to leave any stone unturned so this is why I want to track it down. I know alot of the information is on the internet and forums but I am literally need every mark I can get as I'm going for pusser and dont want to leave anything to chance.

soleil

War Hero
Notice how I have said "the current one" ie 2011! I know the 2012 one is not out yet.

The 2003 handbook that I have is alot better than the other books for information relating to things like the future navy etc. As I have said I dont want to leave any stone unturned so this is why I want to track it down. I know alot of the information is on the internet and forums but I am literally need every mark I can get as I'm going for pusser and dont want to leave anything to chance.

The Royal Navy Handbook hasn't been printed for a few years, KSVB, and when I last spoke to the publishers they weren't expecting to go to print for some time.

Have a look at this:

http://www.newsdeskmedia.com/files/RNGF 2010-11 LoRes.pdf

Your CA might have a hard copy of this in the cupboard or might be able to get one for you.

Be sure to read Navy News as well.

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
If you PM me your email address, I will try to get whatever pages you need scanned at work for you (if it is not too many) and then email them to you, you panicky little bugger.

If you are female you can pay in kind with naked photographs, if you are male then please substitute pictures of your sister (if over 18) or mum.:-D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS PCA Publishes Revised Regulatory Compliance Handbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updates to electronic handbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Employer Engagement handbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: escape cases and civil finance handbook updates and new guidance on expert witnesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Publication of new handbook MoD News 0
A Royal navy handbook for sale The Book Club 10
S The Royal navy Handbook Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Chris1337 Royal Navy Handbook... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S Royal Navy Handbook Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Handbook of Knots & Splices Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T RNR Handbook Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
T Ex CD's book (mine) :) The Book Club 28
Z Discharge book RFA 1
MoD_RSS Online duplicate log book service launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
D Resettlement Help - New Book The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
MoD_RSS DVLA launches online service to change address on vehicle log book (V5C) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DAO 01/20 The Orange Book MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Harry Potter Book Night in Asuncion fills fans with magic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Read your child a book this Christmas, says Children’s Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue book publishers slammed shut by the courts MoD News 0
Waspie New Book for Woo's 'The Royal Navy Wasp' The Book Club 1
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - Feb 19 Competitions 6
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - The King's War Competitions 14
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp November 2018 Competitions 32
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
Waspie The Westland Wasp (Book) The Fleet Air Arm 3
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: Forget My Name Competitions 30
Wreckmasterjay New book - Collision in the Night: The Sinking of HMS Duchess The Book Club 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book competition - Pot Luck August 2018 Competitions 13
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: June 2018 Competitions 27
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0
higthepig 2018 Upgrade - Endeavour Book Reviews Site Issues 2
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp : Pot Luck January 2018 Competitions 32
Ageing_Gracefully Final Book Comp of 2017 - WORD OF WAR Competitions 23
L Seamanship Workplace Training Task Book UPO/Careers Office 1
D Name that book? The Book Club 4
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition : Trouble at Zero Hour Competitions 25
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp - Op RELENTLESS Competitions 25
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp - May 2017 Competitions 12
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition - Crime Fiction TV Characters Competitions 32
Ageing_Gracefully April Pot Luck book competition Competitions 14
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition - Airborne & Finisterre Competitions 24
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp - Mil History Competitions 22
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp 2 Nov 16 Competitions 28
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: The Salt Marsh Competitions 12
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: The Harrowing Competitions 10
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: With Churchill at the Front Competitions 18
Binnie My Book The Book Club 1