RN Handbook / Book Exchange

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ksvb5368, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I have a 2003 copy of the RN handbook but as I have my AIB coming up I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Given how impossible the current one is to track down, would anyone be willing to photocopy me some bits out of their and in exchange I can send you a copy of one of these titles:

How to Pass The Royal Navy AIB
    British Warships & Auxiliaries - Steve Bush
    The Armed Forces of the UK 2010 - 2011.

I know its mostly the same information, but I just don't want to leave anything to chance and although 8 years old now, the official handbook is by far the best out of the ones I have.

Alternatively, if anyone has one for sale, i'd be more than willing to buy it.

2. Yeah, trust me if hunting down a recent-ish copy of that book was as easy as logging onto amazon I'd have done it a long time ago!

My AIB is in a month and the 2012 was delayed until December as far as I believe, hence why this is my last ditch attempt!
  3. The current one has been withdrawn pending alteration. That is why you can't find it. The old one is as good as you will get at the moment..

If you doubt me I'll kill you (I'm not often helpful and I'm weeping saying something constructive).
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hermer... :twisted:
  5. Ive got some thumbed through copies of Razzle that will do you in good stead onboard, sorry nothing of use for AIB though.
  6. sgtpepperband

Actually, you're wrong - Razzle (and other such periodicals) are filled with occifers' wives and daughters... :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The information contained in the other books you mentioned is generally sufficient - more up to date as well in most cases, particularly if you going by most recent editions. Like yourself, I was waiting for the new RN handbook to be released so that I could get my hands on the most up to date information, but I managed to pass without it. Like others have mentioned, the book isn't even in print yet, so you will not be getting any information out of it

My advice to you is to use those books you've already got, the advice found on these forums, the internet with particular reference to the now updated RN website (and by god did they get that right!) and Wikipedia (open source, but generally pretty good). Also, for use with ship recognition (something I will recommend), try this: Royal_Navy_Ships_Subs_Planes_Pullout - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

I ended up zooming into each vessel type so that I got key statistics, then 'Print' and select 'Print View' - it's helpful, if a tad out of date now (still incl. Harrier, Jetstream, Type 22 etc.) I actually just noticed for the first time that Soleil put it up... can't believe I didn't see that earlier
  8. Yes, that has all the required info, I've found. Be sure to check it first, don't bother looking at the Harriers, T22s and Batch 2 T42s. Some may need more material to help remember. I've got a very good memory, but others may not.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  9. HMS Liverpool? She's still in service.
  10. Notice how I have said "the current one" ie 2011! I know the 2012 one is not out yet.

The 2003 handbook that I have is alot better than the other books for information relating to things like the future navy etc. As I have said I dont want to leave any stone unturned so this is why I want to track it down. I know alot of the information is on the internet and forums but I am literally need every mark I can get as I'm going for pusser and dont want to leave anything to chance.
  11. The Royal Navy Handbook hasn't been printed for a few years, KSVB, and when I last spoke to the publishers they weren't expecting to go to print for some time.

Have a look at this:

http://www.newsdeskmedia.com/files/RNGF 2010-11 LoRes.pdf

Your CA might have a hard copy of this in the cupboard or might be able to get one for you.

Be sure to read Navy News as well.
  12. I thought Liverpool was a Batch 3? I stand corrected, it seems
  13. sgtpepperband

You'll go far... :oops:
  14. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

If you PM me your email address, I will try to get whatever pages you need scanned at work for you (if it is not too many) and then email them to you, you panicky little bugger.

If you are female you can pay in kind with naked photographs, if you are male then please substitute pictures of your sister (if over 18) or mum.:-D
  15. Or perhaps you should chill out, and accept knowing the max engagement range of a VL Seawolf won't matter a jot when it comes to leading Sailors.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

It might help on PWO course though.....
  17. Good thing I've passed both my AIB and PWO Course ;)