RN formal interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by navy-ash, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,
    i have rcently passed my test for chef in the navy, and i have my formal interview in 3 days, i was wondering if anyone had any helpfull tips or information that would help me. anything would be great thanks!!

2. Read all the Delia Smith, Gordon Ramsey, and Jamie Oliver books that you can, then forget it all and take your can opener. :D
    But seriously, hopefully you'll be clued up on RN history, traditions, rank structure etc etc etc at this stage.
    As for the interview, shirt, tie, jacket and strides (Suit preferably) and polished shoes are the best bet dress wise for creating a good first impression. Also have a shave and haircut if nescessary.
    Things to do during the interview; Maintain good eye contact, sit up straight, talk clearly and try not to waffle. Be honest.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good luck, Ash - but be warned; it's the hardest course in the Navy...

(...all together now!

"BECAUSE NO ONE'S PASSED IT YET!")

:wink:

4. you saying all chefs in the navy are shite??? i dont mind tho... being a chef myself. i will just bring my own food to cook

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh, do you know where to get hold of six-year old frozen sausages (at least 20% meat) and yellow, chocolate-flavoured meat gravy?!

8O :D

6. Get yourself ready for this competition next year. RN chefs used to sweep the board in most classes but the Army and RAF seem to have taken the few honours won by the Services recently.

7. Now, now. It's the older chefs in the forces who seem to have an attitude problem. One of the best lunches I ever has was at RAF Scampton, on a First Aid training course (don't laugh.... too loudly) cooked by baby chefs. That steak was perfectly, uniformly cooked and was really juicy. The following day the RAF, in their wisdom, having tested out the Junior Cooks on members of the ROC, and their cooking been widely complimented as the best we'd ever had on any RAF base, then transferred them to feed the rest! :sad2:

We should have kept mum..... :roll:

The food deteriorated from then onwards. :evil:

It suggests that chefs, like milk, go off quite quickly! :twisted:

(Father Famine is an obvious exception to this rule)

8. As we Chefs used to say :- In the minds of any Ship's company, the quality of the food deteriorates in direct proportion to the distance from the dockyard wall.
    Today's Navy should feel quite content!

2BM