RN Fitness Test help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mattw87, May 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I need some help and advice. I’m coming towards the end of the application waiting list now for the RN and I will be expected to complete my pre joining fitness test in July ish (assuming I pass medical which I am quietly confident I will).

I’m struggling to get there to be honest. I’m looking for workout tips or exercises I can do to get me to a point where I can run the 2.4km in 11 mins.

Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try the search button, there's loads of helpful tips already posted
  3. Try this, its worked well for me

2 x 5 milers on the road if possible

When you visit the gym do your 2.4 k run on the treadmill or running track as always best effort, once completed move on to the rowing then do the following
    300 meters within a minute followed by a minute rest and repeat 5 times. For me my lungs are bursting at the end. Then move on to what ever you do at the gym.

When I first started by run time 9.30, now my best is 7.39. I average 8.00
  4. cheers daffy1, sounds very intensive and maybe a bit over what i am capable of at the moment but certainly gives me a goal and some ideas
  5. Keep your feet out of the pie shop
    • Like Like x 1
  6. This is not necessarily intended for the OP, but the 1.5 mile run is hardly strenuous. Give or take, it's a 10 minute run - I am amazed how many people who wish to join the Armed Forces seem to find this one of the hardest things they have ever done. I'm not a fitty but still manage to run it in just over 10 mins, in my mid-30s (God I sound old).

There are no tricks - you need to practice running.
  7. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

There is lots of good advice about this posted already and many times before. The only thing that I would add is that pay attention to swimming, puch ups and sit ups as well, your running will benefit as you become stronger through these other activities. Also other activites such as rowing and cycling will be good non impact activities for the days when you are not running to give your legs a break. A bit of sport (whatevr is your pleasure) will add a bit of fun.
    The home truth however is that passing the fitness test is all about effort, a small amount of effort is required on the day, but the majority of the effort is required over a long period of time as you train to develop or maintain your fitness.
    A final tip is to keep your spirits up by imagining yourself sprinting like a gazelle around the astro turf at Raleigh to the adulation of your peers and the whole PTI branch who have stopped by to witness such a talented athlete!
  8. Cheers for the constructive advice guys.

To answer u angrydoc I am of a very muscular build and have previously been into body building so my build is not particually right for cardio workouts. This is something I am trying to change, drop the muscle bulk and transform it to muscle able to perform at the lower strength but higher speed needed for running. proving difficult at the moment hence seeking advice
  9. Mattw87 - I wasn't really aiming at you, it was more a general moan!
  10. i was struggling with mine at first, i did alot of speed workouts!
    This really helped me, im not a running fanatic! At the start of this year, i think its safe to say i were totally unfit!
    I was a total lazy bum all through november and christmas (didnt help that i had 3 weeks of flu either!) but when i got my date in January, i thought i better get my act together! I did alot of speed workouts, alot of 4/5 mile runs (struggling a bit!) and got my 2.4km time down from 16min to 12.25min! Good Luck :)
  11. Maybe if you hide your penis between your legs you can convince them you're a girl and get an extended time limit?

What I did (and still do) is a 5k round trip. I go absolutely flat out on the initial 2.5km and then jog the rest back. Alternatively, you can do it the other way round so there is more motivation to get home cos you're so bored of running.
    Sleep is also really important. Leading up to the PJFT (and your bleep test at the AIB) get an early night. I went to bed at 10pm at my AIB and it really helped with the next day.

12. thats what im currently doing!
  13. What? Hiding your penis and putting your best female voice on?

Or running 5k?

Or both?

14. running 5k..... im female :p
  15. Oooh haha - awkward :p
  16. thanks for the additional advice guys, hiding my penis may be a little hard to do while i run so i think they might see through that 1 lol

im doing more body mass muscle work which now seems to be helping. Im told by a PT that it will start to reduce muscle bulk and leave the endurance muscle fibres behind which are better for running etc.

The 5k idea sounds good though, as does the speed test running.

im going to test myself on Sunday to see how i get on, havent tried for a while.