RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Station

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lucky he didn't hit a pothole on his way in..

Wonder if he removed the dead body from the back of his van before loading the mortar..

Numpty.

2. Re: RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Stat

This sort of thing happens more often than you might think. I was once called out for a butterfly bomb handed in at a West Country police station. It had been used by a deceased elderly relative as a doorstop. On my arrival, a policeman told me I had wasted my time as it was only 'the safe bit'. I asked to look at it anyway and the policeman opened his filing cabinet to reveal a complete device as shown below.

[align=center][​IMG]
    German WW II Butterfly Bomb[/align]

These things were dropped in their thousands. Has anyone else seen one recently?

3. My father (a crab) told me that he was in the Libya in 1943 and he received a short course on butterfly bomb disposal. It was German practice to drop them on airfields and the like, on thos occasion a cluster fell on and in soft sand. The disposal technique was to get a 100 yards if string, make loop and place it around the bomb, retire and jerk the string. The bombs- one after another - gave a half hearted pff. Familiarity breeding contempt led him to continue standing while pulling the string which shortened as each bomb exploded. The next thing he knew was regaining conciousness in a field hospital!

4. Aye I was on watch when the guys got called out last night

5. Just curious, not a criticism, but what sort of response times are usual?

6. I can't give you an average time. But usually quite quick from the time they get a shout pick up their wagon of choice and drive to where ever they have to go. They cover a large area so it's not always a 5 min drive. I've known them to go to Southend so that's not a short hop. Hence I can't give you an average time.

7. Re: RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Stat

I'd like to know what the bloke was doing digging in the woods at that time of the evening??

8. Re: RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Stat

Looking for the rare 'Butterfly Truffle' ....an explosion of taste buds guaranteed?

9. Burying his wife?

10. I understand that they have to cover great distances at times, but what I was asking was how long it takes from them getting the call to driving out the main gate. Obviously, this will depend on the time of day (or night) of the call. I am assuming that outside normal working hours they operate some sort of stand-by system.

11. The longest I noted it takes is about 10 mins from shout to go through main gates get the appropriate vehicle for the job out of the magazine and leave our gates.

I do also know that some times they've had to wait before going because of tides. So for instants they got call at 9pm but couldn't do anything until 4am due to tides. So I guess it also depends on the shout.

12. If it is in the evening/night then from receiving the recall the lads have to get to the team in 30 mins.
    As Tommo stated the area to cover is large so it depends where the incident is on how long it takes to get there.

13. Which tallies with what I gathered from speaking to a couple of chaps in NDG in the past. This then leaves the question of times. It should take only about half an hour to get to Littlehampton from Pompey, so 45-60 mins to be on the scene. The Brighton Argus says it was an hour and three quarters before the EOD team turned up. So, did the Argus get the times wrong (more than possible) did the police fail to make the call for some considerable time (again, more than possible) did the team arrive in Southampton before the person with the piece of paper said "Littlehampton, LITTLEhampton, you cock" (unlikely, though not impossible), did the driver forget to take the handbrake off, or is there another explanation?

14. When something like this occurs the Police don't contact whichever team directly. A call gets placed to the Joint Service EOD Command Centre who then disseminate the job to the appropriate organisation. This obviously takes a bit of time, coupled with the duty watch having to be called in. Hopefully this may explain the time frame involved :D

15. Don't forget they have to do their hair every other mile also being divers :lol:

16. Hey we do have to look good when we get there :D after all there may be ladies to impress!

17. Re: RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Stat

Fairly long distances can be involved unless a team already happens to be deployed in the vicinity: UK Diving Groups

[​IMG]

18. Re: RN EOD Deal With Live Mortar Bomb Brought To Police Stat

How do the Army EOD teams fit in that picture?

19. The probably have their own piccy Joe :lol: