RN Drill Instructors

Spikea1

It gives them a reason to exist.... 8) :D Anyone remember 'Tick - Tock' at Sultan in the late 60's....that place was his reason to exist....though he did instil a certain dread....must have been the chain & whistle.... 8)
He was there when I did my leading hand course and mech selection board. If I remember rightly he hated submariners to my cost.

Old Scribes

Midshipman
He was there when I did my leading hand course and mech selection board. If I remember rightly he hated submariners to my cost.
I also recall Tik Tok at HMS Sultan from my first draft out of training in April 1965. However, the interaction with GIs which I recall best while there concerned a CPOGI. I had moved to work in the Pay Office and was tasked with issuing the cigarette coupons. After the issue was complete, the CPOGI returned to the Pay Office and said "Did 'Ginge' (my predecessor) mention 'the birdies'"? I replied that I did not understand what he was talking about. He then told me that he always got some extra coupons. As a very green young rating I replied that I had never heard of that - and that only one set of three coupons could be issued to anyone. At that he scraped his brass-tipped baton down my ledger desk and hit the desk as hard as he could and told me that I would be hearing more about it. As I said, I was very green, and went to tell the CPOWtr what had happened - fearing that I was in deep sh1t. It was only much later that I realised that it would have been the CPOGI who would have been in even deeper sh1t had it gone official. Nevertheless, I kept well out of his way until I departed for my first sea draft.

I also remember another CPOGI who was one of my very finest mentors. He was CPO Ted Gosden. A remarkable man in every respect. As my career progressed - I often thought about how he would have dealt with whatever situation I was facing.

Two very different examples of CPOGIs.

Latest Threads