RN Drill Instructors

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Deckhead_Inspector said:
On the end of the chain is a whistle. One long blast, and every thing stops. Please remember that "Drill Instuctors" are "Gunnery Instructors". The whistle could be used during a Gunnery practice to stop everything if safety required. Yes, you could argue that it is therefore as obsolete as Blue Collars and Bell Bottom Trousers. But tradition requires that it is still worn. As it is a badge of office, rather like a Flag lieutenants aigulets. It means that the wearer has his CO's and XO's authorty vested in him, over those other wise senior to him, in matters of Drill and Ceremonial. (Of course most GIs believe it gives them authority in all matters, but that is their problem!)

We didn't have problems, we had the authority. Though we are few and far between, we remember what the power was like. :lol:

Our chief GI did not like girls in his guard, he said my lady lumps made his nice line all sticky outy.

Mod edit to remove salacious terminology. This is "History" RC, and I won't have you use dirty language like that in here... I thought you were a lady?

8O :lol:

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
rosinacarley said:
Our chief GI did not like girls in his guard, he said my lady lumps made his nice line all sticky outy.

Mod edit to remove salacious terminology. This is "History" RC, and I won't have you use dirty language like that in here... I thought you were a lady?

8O :lol:

Rosie, I have no idea how I would have dealt with the mixed crews. I do think that it would have been very hard to break down my prejudices. But it might have been fun to find out! :oops:

ken sharp

The drill instructors chain has a whistle on it's end.
This can be used to bring attention to recruits, and to overcome unruly behaviour.
It is also part of the instructors badge of office.
CPO Ken Sharp. Sea Cadet Corps. TS Weston.

bollotom

War Hero
It gives them a reason to exist.... 8) :D Anyone remember 'Tick - Tock' at Sultan in the late 60's....that place was his reason to exist....though he did instil a certain dread....must have been the chain & whistle.... 8)

Tick-Tock too at Ganges 1960-ish. Surname was Tansley. You trembled when he came near. :cool:

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer

Some of the posts are funny, apart from the 'Thing' reminiscing about sitting on his grandfather's knee and punishment of recruits.

The drill instructors chain has a whistle on it's end.
This can be used to bring attention to recruits, and to overcome unruly behaviour.
It is also part of the instructors badge of office.
CPO Ken Sharp. Sea Cadet Corps. TS Weston.

It might have been mentioned.