RN clearance divers!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SOOPAMAN, May 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, this is my first post on rum ration.

Im looking to join the RN as a CD but I cant find any detailed info anywhere and I have a few questions about the selections and medicals in particular.

What is the clearance divers medical like? what happens in it and what tests do you get done? Is it different from the regular RN medical and dental checks or is it exactly the same? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Also what happens on the selection? runs, pressups, situps, pullups, dips? what are the required ammounts and how long do you get to do them?

Thankyou in advance to anyone who answers these question.

2. :evil:
    You may wish to work on your search skill as this...
    ...was in the Stickies section of the Newbies forum under FAQs
    Ninja Stokers answers in that thread will cover most, if not all, of your questions.
    His, SuperMarios and Naval Gazers answers on MCD issues can be relied upon (The first 2 being AFCO Recruiters in their spare time when not on RR and NG is a MCD and he'll be available when his shift on the mirror finishes. :D )
    Aside from that welcome to RR.
  3. Hi thakns for the reply, I had already previously read that post.

I was looking for more specific info on the actual medical assesment i.e. the bit with the doctor and the dentist

I was trying to find out what medical checks (other than the basic naval medical/dental checks) you go through?
  4. Ask at the AFCO tomorrow AM.
  5. Good advice from NZB as the routine changes periodically and I am no longer current. However, in general terms, most of the medical examination should comprise providing a urine specimen and the standard PULHEEMS, i.e.

Physical Capacity
    Upper Limbs
    Hearing (audio booth)
    Eyesight (alphabetic test chart)
    Mental Capacity

For divers, particular attention is paid to pulmonary aspects such as lung capacity and the ability to expel most contents explosively (Vitalograph). Cardiological aspects are also important and heart recovery rate is assessed after step-ups. You may also have a full chest plate X-ray but I believe long bone X-rays are no longer necessary to enable the medics to monitor any evidence of long bone necrosis. This was normally associated with deep diving on air which the RN stopped doing several years ago.

Most of these elements are repeated during an annual diving medical (ADM), without which you will not be passed as 'Fit to Dive'.
  6. PEDA TODAY!!! getting train at 14:50! Can't wait let the fun begin:p
  7. Its a brilliant day, as long as you fitness is up to scratch. Just enjoy it.
  8. I am in the process of doing all the paperwork, they need to find my med docs from the marines lol
  9. So there is no full plate chest xray now?

would ayone be able to clarify this?

thanks again.