Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RN Careers advice, RN or UNI?

Rachelthree

War Hero
Exactly, it isn't about declaring a winner on what is the right course of action as there isn't one; depends entirely what the individual wants at a given time. I recognise the merits of going straight into service even though i did the opposite of that, amazing opportunities in both. In both cases though it is a case of what you put in reflects what you get out- your daughter obviously has the determination and potential to go far and the navy was the correct environment to nurture that in (as well her upbringing :D ), similarly my ex was in and was in the mindset that he hated it and never took advantge of what service life could offer, same deal with students. For some people myself included i felt what i wanted to do was uni first and then embark on a naval career, if i finally get in then ill take the opportunity with both hands and have no niggling regrets, which i personally know i would have otherwise. Without knowing what is going on inside OP's brain anyway it is impossible to give tailored advice haha.

Last edited:

Rachelthree

War Hero
Quite.....

Yeah but worrying about not getting into a 'good' university and considering the RN suggests that one is still weighing up options, yea the shit bit sounds fairly conclusive but the beauty of higher education is you choose what you want to study. Although it sounds like i am trying to steer them away from joining up right away i am not, frankly in my life it concerns me not and has no impact. Just fighting the side of university which is no doubt the underdog on a Navy forum. Either way i am not fussed, i will be the first to admit if i had joined at 18 i would no doubt be highlighting to OP all the amazing things i have done, but i didn't and i am happy with my degree and have no reason to justify it, just pretty bored really.

to be honest I am sick of learning shit in the education system so I am seriously considering the RN.

What I would say is that Dartmouth is still, after militarisation, quite a bit of classroom work, there's a bit of Physics, Meteorology, Strategic Studies (military history and some), Leadership Theory, Presentation Skills, and more. If you are "sick of learning shit" then perhaps it is not for you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To be fair to the OP, there's a big difference learning vocational skills in the classroom whilst earning a wage and going to university and going into debt, but yes, there's still classroom learny bits.

Rachelthree

War Hero
To be fair to the OP, there's a big difference learning vocational skills in the classroom whilst earning a wage and going to university and going into debt, but yes, there's still classroom learny bits.

I get a distinct feeling you aren't a fan of higher education? :D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I get a distinct feeling you aren't a fan of higher education?
An interesting observation from someone who spent 5 additional and unnecessary years in education but didn't think to apply for a job simultaneously :D

But seriously, my job is to advise people how best to achieve their career aspiration. Going round the world to reach the other end of your street isn't the best advice.

If the job requires specific qualifications, then it makes sense to undertake vocational qualifications. In fact I refuse to see a Doctor who isn't qualified. Otherwise, for those who wish to go to University for the experience,take gap years, etc., then I think they are missing the point of education.

Rachelthree

War Hero
An interesting observation from someone who spent 5 additional and unnecessary years in education but didn't think to apply for a job simultaneously :D

But seriously, my job is to advise people how best to achieve their career aspiration. Going round the world to reach the other end of your street isn't the best advice.

If the job requires specific qualifications, then it makes sense to undertake vocational qualifications. In fact I refuse to see a Doctor who isn't qualified. Otherwise, for those who wish to go to University for the experience,take gap years, etc., then I think they are missing the point of education.

I am just being flippant anyway, everyone has different opinions and that its all good. Technically i did 3 as i have no a levels and worked in the years between school and uni- wasn't interested in the navy until i did a summer work placement on a base interacting a lot with mil admin. That was 2010 and had to whip myself into shape and alongside the wait lists for entry decided rather than going back to my dead end job i would go to uni. Worked alongside that and got promoted in my job in under a year which was good work experience in itself that i probably wouldnt have been afforded back home. Applied in 2012 over a year before i graduated as after an earlier enquiry the wait was advised at 18 months so in conjunction with my CA's advice took the RT in March time. Although it sounds like i dont as i cordially disagree o do respect your experience and all that, if the op said he definitively wanted to join then fair enough but as the joining up straight away option would invariably be covered by those qualified to comment i provided an answer to the other option he was considering. Dont see the problem really? Anyhow with all due respect the job market is savage these days, there are different requirements outside the navy for things- doesnt hurt to plan.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
Interestingly Nija do you think 18 is too young especially for officer training? My daughter in one of her many informal chats with her RO was told the long wait to get in was good as the aditional life experience and a little older was probably better . I think she probably learnt a lot about life over the 3 years it took her to get to Raleigh at the age of 20.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I am just being flippant anyway, everyone has different opinions and that its all good. Technically i did 3 as i have no a levels and worked in the years between school and uni- wasn't interested in the navy until i did a summer work placement on a base interacting a lot with mil admin. That was 2010 and had to whip myself into shape and alongside the wait lists for entry decided rather than going back to my dead end job i would go to uni. Worked alongside that and got promoted in my job in under a year which was good work experience in itself that i probably wouldnt have been afforded back home. Applied in 2012 over a year before i graduated as after an earlier enquiry the wait was advised at 18 months so in conjunction with my CA's advice took the RT in March time. Although it sounds like i dont as i cordially disagree o do respect your experience and all that, if the op said he definitively wanted to join then fair enough but as the joining up straight away option would invariably be covered by those qualified to comment i provided an answer to the other option he was considering. Dont see the problem really? Anyhow with all due respect the job market is savage these days, there are different requirements outside the navy for things- doesnt hurt to plan.
Mate, seriously, I appreciate you want to have the last word to demonstrate the value of your education, but even my mobile or kindle has a return button. Paragraphs make stuff easier to digest, no matter how valid the textual content.

Laters.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have no uni experience, just worked in civvy street from leaving 6th form until I joined up at 23. Suited me. I don't feel I missed out on growing up slowly, drunken nights and sleeping during the day whilst living in a pit and draining the bank of parents etc. I did all that once in the mob.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Interestingly Nija do you think 18 is too young especially for officer training? My daughter in one of her many informal chats with her RO was told the long wait to get in was good as the aditional life experience and a little older was probably better . I think she probably learnt a lot about life over the 3 years it took her to get to Raleigh at the age of 20.

The service mindset actually annoys me in this area.

There are those aged 16 who have more life-experience in their little finger than those ten years older. The problem is that many Divisional Officers think that because that's how they got to their position, then they know better than the individual in front of them.

My personal view is the individual deserves the chance to try now, rather than wait until they have first hand leadership experience. Problem is that I've seen people bursting with potential, knocked back because someone thinks they are "too young" - in any other job, that would be illegal.

I spent 5 years doing a Mechanical Engineering degree, which the navy does require, and I think it gives people chance to evaluate their own situations and can be valuable. Only you can decide. It's a fair whack of debt, but I know a hell of load more than any OU equivalent degree. I'm 26 now and have spent the last 3 years designing gas turbine components, very closely related to the MT30s the navy use. Though I do wish I'd signed up earlier!

I'd recommend university to anyone, to do a proper degree, not media or sport, but there are pros and cons to both sides!

Rachelthree

War Hero
Throughout this thread i never said uni was preferable, all i did was put my opinion/experience forward and agreed other routes were good as well. Just defending my opinion never said anyone elses were invalid or wrong. Hope everyone in the navy are like those on these boards.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
Thanks Ninja you make a valid point. I wish I had joined the RN lol . But I would have been in the Falklands at a bad time lol. Which is ironic as that is where my kid is now.

I dont think anyone is knocking your point Rachel, devils advocate is always a tough stand to take lol.

NorthernMonkey you are correct and that is the point Ninja made . Take a degree if it is needed for your career path and make sure its a worth while one that actually meens something. Of course with a degree like yours you can command a huge salary in Australia as well lol.

And I shall have the last word lol so there ...

Thanks Ninja you make a valid point. I wish I had joined the RN lol . But I would have been in the Falklands at a bad time lol. Which is ironic as that is where my kid is now.

I dont think anyone is knocking your point Rachel, devils advocate is always a tough stand to take lol.

NorthernMonkey you are correct and that is the point Ninja made . Take a degree if it is needed for your career path and make sure its a worth while one that actually meens something. Of course with a degree like yours you can command a huge salary in Australia as well lol.

And I shall have the last word lol so there ...

This is true... why in the name of all that is holy do I want to join the navy??? :p

Maybe after. I was a Sea Cadet and loved it, then joined the Army Officer Training Corps at uni. Too much stomping and face paint.... :D

domov

Wow thanks for all the great advice and replies so far guys! I suppose I should re-iterate my point on my thoughts on the education system, I have found that the majority of things one learns in the education system to be useless and only useful to the few that will use the specific knowledge in their future careers. One week after a major exam I would expect a fair few students to have lost the knowledge they used in the exam; we are taught to pass exams.

Learning at Raleigh or Officer school is not the same as this as one will use the knowledge in his/her career. I suppose the same could be said for choosing a single subject in University.

I didn't know about URNU and I will definitely try to get into a Uni that supports this if I do end up going.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: New online apps launched to transform careers advice for students MoD News 0
T Looking for Advice on Officer Careers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
S Factual Careers advice needed please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Careers Advice on Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trelawney126 Careers Advice for 7 yr. Olds. Bring back Chimney Sweeps The Gash Barge 2
Ninja_Stoker Factual Careers Advice- Beware! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
I Naval Careers Portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Careers Discussion Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS National Careers Service Virtual Jobs Fair returns on June 8 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 1000 jobs promoted to local job seekers at National Careers Service virtual jobs fair MoD News 0
BFRS123 National Employment Online Careers Fair - April 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
BFRS National Employment & Careers Fair @ Catterick - 23rd April 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS ESFA’s National Careers Service head awarded in New Year’s Honours MoD News 0
Skylarker RFA or RN Careers Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS The National Careers Service course directory is changing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £20 million funding to help 10,000 young people into NHS careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New qualifications to help teachers progress their careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: It's showtime! Helping pupils set off on the road to STEM careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Education Secretary announces £2.5m boost to Careers Hubs in 20 areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Launching the VOA careers site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New funding to support young women into maritime careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Top Employers to help all primary schools offer careers education to pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Youngsters learn about careers on offer in growing Earth Observation sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister praises work of organisations helping veterans into new careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl scientists inspire more women to choose STEM careers MoD News 0
J My Careers advisor hasn’t been in contact? Joining the Royal Navy 6
F Careers Office Leave Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Careers sailing/joining the bridge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
TechFin When will the Careers site be up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: Unique careers at Dstl MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Covenant means coding careers for military community as Amazon Web Services sign up MoD News 0
F Careers Adviser Discretion? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BFRS National Employment & Careers Fair @ Aldershot The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS National Employment & Careers Fair @ Catterick - 24th November 2016 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Tidworth Job & Careers Fair The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS 7 Days to go until our Grantham Job and Careers Event! 14th July 2016 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Oxfordshire Careers Event for the Armed Forces Community The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS BFRS Oxfordshire Military Community Careers Event sponsored by Explosive Learning Solutions The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
H I have my interviews with my local careers office tomorrow... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Careers office Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
BFRS BFRS Careers Event - Tidworth, 2nd October The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
G Unsure about naval careers and qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
BFRS BFRS Catterick Careers Event - 4th September 2014 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
dirtyweeally Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
FunkyJunky If you could go back to the careers office....... The Fleet 38
soleil 1SL Assists With A Careers Enquiry From A Potential Recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
A Careers Guidance/Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
soleil Royal Navy Careers Service - Narrow Boat Flotilla The Fleet 5
supermario Ilford RN and RM careers office closing for business Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1