RN Career options

War Hero
stupot1988 said:
Although at SEMC you learn all about the technology etc, when you get your first posting you are more of a manager than an engineer.

Engineering is about more than just fiddling with boxes of eletrickery, in the engineering world the profession splits into Engineering Technicians, Incorporated Engineers and Chartered Engineers. EngTechs fiddle with kit, IEs supervise that and maintain adherence to standards, QA and the like where CEngs are responsible for either innovation and development of new bits of kit for Techs to look after, or coming up with new ways to use exoisting kit in interesting and amusing ways, which should have some business benefit.

It used to be that all graduate EOs were educationally qualified for Chartership, although that can't be awarded until one has a fair chunk of responsible experience.

The junior EO job at sea equates more with the Incorporated Engineer level, management of people, and resources in support of the command aim. Later EO jobs move into the realms of being a CEng, procurement, dstl or QinetiQ, concepts and doctrine etc. That said, the systems engineering aspects at sea are somewhat more challenging that management, one needs to understand the systems and how they work together, within the operating environment in order to adequately support the warfare team.

It's pretty narrow thinking to conceive that engineering per se is just about fiddling around in boxes, just as it's narrow to suggest that what EngTechs do is merely fiddling around in boxes; the skills required of each are different, but complementary. EOs frequently need to convert geekery into plain english, and equally need to convert the operational priorities into meaningful intentions for the engineering support.

The EOs don't do engineering line is frequently trotted out by those whose view of engineering is limited to actually delivering working kit on a day to day basis and have had no exposure to the process whereby the kit that they look after has got to the stage where it needs looked after on a day to day basis.

Of course one might ask, if EOs don't do engineering, why does the RN spend an awful lot of money training them as engineers?

slim

War Hero
chrism_scotland said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
chrism_scotland said:
I know that the roles and titles have recently changed, is an ET similar to the old role Artrificer?

In broad tems: "Yes" inasmuch as they replace Artificers & mechanics, but are mostly less qualified than Artificers upon entry.

Doubtless a discussion will ensue: Artificers used to need 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English), they used to have to score significantly higher in the Recruiting Test, pass an additional maths test, a four year apprenticeship & were considered "under training" until at least the Rate of Petty Officer or Chief Petty Officer was attained. (depending whether AE, WE or ME). ET's require no formal qualifications upon entry.

Thanks Ninja, trying to find out more about a role as an ET, I would like to join the Navy as an Officer but my degree in accounting isn't Engineering so I think I would prefer to join as an ET Rating.

If you have the qualifications for entry as an officer then that is the way to go. :thumright:

slim said:
chrism_scotland said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
chrism_scotland said:
I know that the roles and titles have recently changed, is an ET similar to the old role Artrificer?

In broad tems: "Yes" inasmuch as they replace Artificers & mechanics, but are mostly less qualified than Artificers upon entry.

Doubtless a discussion will ensue: Artificers used to need 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English), they used to have to score significantly higher in the Recruiting Test, pass an additional maths test, a four year apprenticeship & were considered "under training" until at least the Rate of Petty Officer or Chief Petty Officer was attained. (depending whether AE, WE or ME). ET's require no formal qualifications upon entry.

Thanks Ninja, trying to find out more about a role as an ET, I would like to join the Navy as an Officer but my degree in accounting isn't Engineering so I think I would prefer to join as an ET Rating.

If you have the qualifications for entry as an officer then that is the way to go. :thumright:

I just think I would prefer engineering to warfare if I'm honest, either way I;m leaning toward Submarines, whats warfare officer in a sub like?

Well just got my degree results this morning, and I've just failed my honours year.

SheffGruff

Badgeman
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be worth updating people on my situation. I was told to e-mail my degree details to AIB by my ACLO, then was invited in to an AFCO interview with the officer after passing the RT test for an officer position.

AIB never got back to me in time for the local interview, so myself and the ACLO proceeded with it under the hypothetical situation that they would accept it, and I was told to e-mail it in again (marking it for someone's personal attention this time). I understand the person normally making these decisions was on bereavement leave which is the reason for some of the delay.

Long story short, AIB have said that they are willing to consider my application to be a WEO (or similar) given my physics degree, which is good news! The ACLO seemed quite enthusiastic about my application and was happy with my performance in interview with him, so I've sent off the rest of the forms and am now waiting for an AIB date.

On the basis of my interview he again mentioned that I might enjoy a position on a submarine more, because it has a more practical leaning than ship based positions. I suspect this may be true - I'm also wondering if he's on a commission for submariners! I'm still quite wary of the role due to the operating conditions - the job might be a bit more involving but I'm not convinced the trade-off is a balanced one. As has been mentioned however, I may not have a choice in the matter anyways, which I'm prepared to accept.

I hope this is of some help to anyone reading this who may be in a similar position to me - the flexibility can be there, but it does take a bit of time to find out where you stand if you are in a bit of grey area like I was. I'd like to thank the previous posters for their help and insight. Wish me luck!

Apologies if I'm covering old ground here but I've just seen this thread and come straight to the end to submit this. I work in CNR as an Engineer Officer Recruiter.

You can join as a Weapons Engineer Officer with a physics degree - Physics and Astronomy? Not sure - it would have to have a large science content. Contact your nearest AFCO for more advice. Basically, each engineering degree is looked at on an individual basis.

Be aware that we are currently very short of both WE and WESM officers.