RN Career options

IB08

Lantern Swinger
I think youd enjoy working in a techie trade from the sounds of what youve been doing in your civvy career. Besides, you dont want to be pushed onto submarines, its very difficult to get yourself out of that branch once youve signed up for it for obv reasons.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
SheffGruff said:
Bluntly, over submarines, the ACLO is sounding desperate. It seemed all the more so when he was suggesting that he didn't want to push me into it (which, really, is exactly what he's doing and I know it - he is just trying to make me feel like I have ownership over the decision). Because I have a less than ideal academic qualification for Engineer Officer he has been suggesting that I could use the willingness to work on submarines as a bargaining tool with the AIB.

I can't really blame him if there is a shortage - however I pointed out that I don't really believe I'm the sort of person that could spend three months underwater in a tube without going mad and climbing the walls (my wording slightly more diplomatic than that). He agreed that was what many people would expect but offered to put me onto an acquaint course to look at what life on a submarine is like - he is really putting in a lot of effort to try and pursuade me over this. Maybe when I'm a bit older and more settled down I may suit it, particularly with my nuclear knowledge, but for now I'm far too restless and don't want to spend my younger years looking at Faslane or a wall.

I am tempted more and more to drop my application for officer entry and to work as a tech - its more closely related to my current work type and I think you're right, it would be more fun. I could always apply to officer later on if I need the money or want to manage people. For now, I'm starting a new job as an Industrial Logic Programmer which I'll do for now just to get me out of working gigs and as a backup job.

When all's said & done, you indeed have entire ownership of any decisions regarding your career BEFORE you join, you don't have to join at any level so the choice is entirely yours. You may not pass AIB and even if you do you may not be selected, so it's best to have a realistic approach. The submarine acquaint is simply that and is intended to educate - it's not a measure of desperation as you can do an aircrew acquaint too & we've always got far more aircrew candidates than places available.

If you want to do "hands on" engineering that involves getting your hands dirty then joining as a rating is possibly the way to go, maybe with a view to attempting to become an Officer from within the service after you've gained experience on the "coal face" - many people qualified for Officer elect to go via this route.

You are under no obligation to join as a submariner however you need to be aware that the contract you sign, if you join, states that you agree that you may be called upon to serve on ships alongside & at sea, in submarines, ships taken up from trade, air stations and shore establishments world-wide. It doesn't happen often but you could end up serving on boats anyway.

Best of luck.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
chrism_scotland said:
Do msny Engineering Technicians get commissioned if they work hard enough and are good enough?

Currently approximately 40% of Engineering Officers joined as a Rating (mostly as Artrificers, Mechanics or Technicians)
 
Ninja_Stoker said:
You are under no obligation to join as a submariner however you need to be aware that the contract you sign, if you join, states that you agree that you may be called upon to serve on ships alongside & at sea, in submarines, ships taken up from trade, air stations and shore establishments world-wide. It doesn't happen often but you could end up serving on boats anyway.

Best of luck.

Wow even the officers have to sign contracts now, back in the depths of time the only things I signed were the application form for AIB, F Ident 177 and the Official Secrets act thing. No oaths either, and no numbers.

Back to the main subject, our lad really needs to get a definative list of the options available to him. Cetainly my employer would consider some one with the degree in question as a graduate apprentice, for an engineering role, and I know several chartered engineers who came down the physics route.

God luck
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
You're absolutely correct Peter,

All he need do is take the list of the unit modules completed to the ACLO to have them verified (or otherwise) by AIB.
 
Ninja_Stoker said:
chrism_scotland said:
Do msny Engineering Technicians get commissioned if they work hard enough and are good enough?

Currently approximately 40% of Engineering Officers joined as a Rating (mostly as Artrificers, Mechanics or Technicians)

I know that the roles and titles have recently changed, is an ET similar to the old role Artrificer?
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
chrism_scotland said:
I know that the roles and titles have recently changed, is an ET similar to the old role Artrificer?

In broad tems: "Yes" inasmuch as they replace Artificers & mechanics, but are mostly less qualified than Artificers upon entry.

Doubtless a discussion will ensue: Artificers used to need 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English), they used to have to score significantly higher in the Recruiting Test, pass an additional maths test, a four year apprenticeship & were considered "under training" until at least the Rate of Petty Officer or Chief Petty Officer was attained. (depending whether AE, WE or ME). ET's require no formal qualifications upon entry.
 
Ninja_Stoker said:
chrism_scotland said:
I know that the roles and titles have recently changed, is an ET similar to the old role Artrificer?

In broad tems: "Yes" inasmuch as they replace Artificers & mechanics, but are mostly less qualified than Artificers upon entry.

Doubtless a discussion will ensue: Artificers used to need 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English), they used to have to score significantly higher in the Recruiting Test, pass an additional maths test, a four year apprenticeship & were considered "under training" until at least the Rate of Petty Officer or Chief Petty Officer was attained. (depending whether AE, WE or ME). ET's require no formal qualifications upon entry.

Thanks Ninja, trying to find out more about a role as an ET, I would like to join the Navy as an Officer but my degree in accounting isn't Engineering so I think I would prefer to join as an ET Rating.
 
Do you have to be a certain rank as a rating to be considered for a commission?

Also do you have to be "picked" or can you put yourself forward for an AIB when a rating?
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
chrism_scotland said:
Do you have to be a certain rank as a rating to be considered for a commission?

Also do you have to be "picked" or can you put yourself forward for an AIB when a rating?

No, you may apply for Officer very early in your career as a rating and may even be recommended whilst still in training.

Generally a caveat is attached which will state at what point you may be put forward for AIB, but if your line manager (Divisional Officer) thinks you are a strong candidate you can request an AIB with an endorsement from him/her.

You can insist on attending AIB from day one if you wish, but if you are not recommended the chances of passing are reduced.
 
Top