RMR while at University

Discussion in 'RMR' started by C40235, Dec 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just came back from regular prmc and did alright in the tests (except bleep got 10.4 pretty poor) got through bottom field but failed the obstacle course (kept falling off that bloody rope!). I know where I went wrong and feel I have a much better understanding of RM pt and could go back and do it again in 6 months. However, as I have a deferred university place for septmber 2014, I really want to do that, but after being at Lympstone and seeing for myself how awesome Bootnecks are, really want to go for RM as well. So I just want to know, how would I go about transferring my application to the RMR, and whats it like balancing uni life with being in the RMR.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sitting in lectures naked holding a roll mat I would suggest is the only difference. Oh, and saying hoofing a lot :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Essence too.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

6. Ninja_Stoker

The Undergrad RMR/URNU/OTC conundrum is fairly well versed on here & on the PRMC Forum.

To condense it: The university Officer Cadet organisations, as the name implies, are aimed at undergrads who may or may not join the armed forces. In essence, they are university societies that pay a wage.

The RMR is there to flexibly augment the regular Royal Marines, it isn't intended as a work experience programme and the vast majority of undergrads don't complete training. That said, a handful of undergrads who join the RMR eventual get as far as joining as a regular RM YO. Statistically, those who complete RMR training have a much higher pass rate in YO training than those that don't.

7. Thanks Ninja. but when you say the vast majority of undergrads don't complete training, is this due to them quitting themselves or being binned.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Most quit as they cannot adequately commit, a lesser number get canned for failing criteria tests.

9. Training was over 18 months, trying to cut it down to 12 now though, a lot of guys find the commitment to much, seems hoofing at the start but when you've had a shit week in work, your mates are going on the piss, and you get to lay in a ditch, threaders, it takes a lot of commitment ha. There's also a lot of injuries and guys getting back trooped. To put it into perspective the troop above me are doing their commando course in jan, 30 started the troop now only 9 are on the course. But if u can stick it, what a laugh, and although it can be shit, everyone's going through it and you'll learn new ways of picking up the morale.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. Ninja_Stoker

Word on the street is that some, if not all RMR units are re-introducing two Recruit Troops a year so that they lose less through back-trooping by 12 months.