Rmr tours and operations opportunities

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Jm1g, Oct 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm considering the rmr and am interested to hear more about the opportunities to deploy and go on training exercises. I am particularly interested in the frequency of opportunities and how many and how often they come about. Is there some kind of notice board with the opportunities? How often do they come up and how many can there be At any one time?
    Also if possible could anyone give me some examples of current options available to the rmr at present or some point in the past,? Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Jm1g

Whilst you are considering the RMR how about a bit of info on yourself? What makes you think that you are suitable or good enough to be a Bootneck? Have you any previous service and where did you first hear about the RMR?

The information you request is available to anyone with internet access but if you are chasing some sort of 'big jolly holiday club' then perhaps you should look elsewhere.
  3. Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I am considering the rmr because I feel it is something that I need to do before I get too old, and know I give it my best shot if it didn't happen.
    I spend most of my childhood and teenage years interested/obsessed with all things military. I considered joining but was talked out of it by parents and family, an led down the education root. I'm satisfied with the choice I made, but it's still in the back of my mind.
    Whenever I think about what I want to do with my life, I think about witnessing major events that will go down in history, and change the future. This is one of the reasons why I think the rmr would suit me.
    Going on a tour of a conflict Zone, or an exercise in an African jungle, or relief work at a disaster site appeals to me like nothing else.
    I want to experience these things, and create incredible and humbling memorys and experiences.
    I don't know if I'm good enough. I like to think I am and will push myself to the limit to find out.

That is a bit about my background and reasons for joining. I would be happy to answer any more questions in exchange for guidance and advice.

Any chance of some links??
  4. Even a Para can Google .....I think the TA may be more suitable for you or have you got me on a bite? Initiative is most definately a requirement to join the Royal Marines Reserve.

Try 4 Para they wear pink berets and big boots, shoot at everything but hit nothing and go all around the world collecting various para wings to wear on their smocks. They don't require any initiative, however probably best to Google 'Para TA' though it might help.
  5. jmjg
    how old are you ? have you any previous military experience ?
    For info there are many and varied opportunites to deploy on excercise and operations in the RMR as Allseeingeye is well aware .
    I think the point he is trying to make is you seem to be jumping the gun somewhat
    Discussing operational deployments is probably outside the scope of this forum but be assured there are many slots available
    you will be made more aware of whats on offer as you progress through and complete training
    in real time flash to bang time is about two years from joining to going on operations
    or alternativley as suggested join 4 Para you can get there in less than a year
    good luck
  6. Moose,

You are far too tolerant of fwckuits, see you tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. I'm 25 with no previous experience. I'm not looking for the flash to bang time, i seek a quality use of my spare time, and something to commit too that will deliver rewards. I'm not the para type. I'm not looking to go and feed an aggression addiction.The rmr is something iv been reading about for a while, just the infomation I seek requires a more intensive search which is tricky on my phone with bad signal. Am I in the wrong place to get what I'm looking for??
  8. Google !!!!
  9. When you say 'education root'...
  10. Weak, unworkable, move to higher ground and try again, out. ;-)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

12. Jm1g

It might be a good idea if you were to take the first steps in making an application by registering your interest and having more details sent out to you; once you have progressed a little further in the application process, the answers to the more complex questions which you have will become clearer.

Link for you - have a look at this:

13. My highly tuned 'knobometer' is still suggesting the TA.......spare the AFCO's from serial under achievers and Walts.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  14. Thanks for the link soleil, and thanks for yours too ninja. Cleverly disguised, it was an interesting read.*
    The little voice in the back of my head is still there, *3 years later. A lot has changed and now that im settled and a bit more mature, I'm starting to get excited about the new challenge.
    I understand people's reluctance to see commitment, it's one of many hurdles I would have to jump. *
    Any mOre info appreciated