RMR to regular officer

Discussion in 'RMR' started by antmakins, Apr 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have posted this in both 'RMR' and 'The Corps' for a balanced response.

I am a university student who is intending to join the RM as an officer upon graduating. Being on a Masters with a year in industry it equates to a 5 year course which is a rather long wait.

I was thinking of joining the RMR whilst at uni and then transferring to the regulars when I have finished university. Is this possible, bearing in mind I want to be an officer.

All help is much appreciated, cheers,

Ant

2. Short answer NO
    You can obtain an FTRS contract with the corps as an RMR officer , indeed there are some RMR officers that have been on FTRS for 10 years or more.
    however you will not qualify for promotion etc and therfore this will not be a good career option i suggest.
    you can however undertake YO training as a commado trained green beret wearing rank . there are i understand two officers currently who were in the RMR (Manchester) whilst at Uni , both passed RFCC were awarded green beret then went on to jion a YO batch, incidentally neither of these guys went through RMR training as officers
    hope this helps

3. Short answer NO
    You can obtain an FTRS contract with the corps as an RMR officer , indeed there are some RMR officers that have been on FTRS for 10 years or more.
    however you will not qualify for promotion etc and therfore this will not be a good career option i suggest.
    you can however undertake YO training as a commado trained green beret wearing rank . there are i understand two officers currently who were in the RMR (Manchester) whilst at Uni , both passed RFCC were awarded green beret then went on to jion a YO batch, incidentally neither of these guys went through RMR training as officers
    hope this helps

4. I went into the local AFCO recently and was told that as the next intake for officers wasn't until next september it would be a good idea to join the RMR in the mean time, to gain experience.

Are you saying this isn't possible/advisable or am i wrong?

Cheers

5. No , i think you have misunderstood
    you can join the RMR for experience and it will certainly help if / when you attend AIB.
    if you aspire to a FULL CAREER with RM then you will have to do full RM officer training , there is no direct RMR officer entry training that is comparable to regular RM Officer training .
    Many RMR Officer attach to the regular corps for FTRS or operations but they cannot transfer to a full career option
    hope this clears things up for you, if it doesnt then pm me
    good luck

6. Ah i understand.

Thanks for clearing that up.

7. As a matter of interest, I know a certain CO of a Cdo that is an ex RMR himself - couldn't tell you if he was an hofficer though.
    Just on the business of decision to do RMR while waiting for a batch...Absolutely, do it, you will not regret...and if you have not done your POC, and AIB then it might just help out there.