RMR PTI's

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Leon81, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. morning,

out of interest, i just wanted to ask for information regarding PTI's in the RMR. specifically...

IS THE BRANCH OPEN TO RMR AND NOT CLOSED TO EX-RM PTI's?
    WHAT RANK (I assume Cpl?) DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO EXPRESS AN INTEREST/SIDEWAYS MOVEMENT?
    WHAT COURSES DO THEY HAVE TO ATTEND TO BECOME A PTI?
    HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

Im not questioning anyone's fitness/committment or knowledge at all so please dont take this post the wrong way.

Im in the RNR and am aware that in the RMR there are PTI's (some of which I think are in house RMR PTI trained but im not 100%).

We currently have a shortage of PTI's in my RNR unit but no one seems to be addressing the problem. I just wanted to see if there is a way of a Junior Rating/Leading Hand taking on a RN PTI course in which somewhere down the line they can have a tick in the box and qualification to become a qualified ships PTI (if possible?)

ANY INFO GREATLY APPREC

2. RMR PTI's are RMR or ex RM, they start by going on a 2 week PT3 course - sort of an aquaint to PT branch, were they qualify to do limited PT activities, but starts to prep them for 2 week PT2 course and - only branch that will allow it, subsequent PT1 course. All course run by CTC PT wing. You have to be a JNCO to start PT3 (L/Cpl - but preferred Cpl)

Other Courses then are available and alot of PTI's spend there annual training at CTC helping PT Wing and improvong thre skills / knowledge

Hope this Helps

3. cheer for this Toxic, really helpful

4. Leon81 - the likelyhood of the RN allowing a RNR person to conduct the PTI's course, or an Army/RM Regimental PTI course is nil. It's a well trodden path, with lots of branch resistance, so I wouldn't waste your effort!

5. Pedant mode on, but actually for Leon's education. There is no such thing as a RM Regimental PTI, this is an army term refering to non-APTC PTIs. All RM PTIs are the equivalent of RN, RAF and APTC branch-trained PTIs (obviously better though :wink: )

IMD

6. IMD, you know what I meant!

Anyway, we attempted to get a couple of lads on the Regimental PTI course, and got nowhere. Not the first, and by the looks of it, not the last to try this path.....

7. Couple quick corrections,
    The course is purely a 2s course, there is no PT3s anymore. For RMR PTIs it consists of the PT2 Part 1(2 weeks @ CTC) and the PT2 Part 2(2 weeks @ CTC), after this, advancement is more difficult. However you are more than capable of running the majority of Unit phys as a PT2.

You only have to be a Mne to complete the PT2 part 1, However to complete the Part 2 and be a badged PT2 you also need to do pass a juniors.

As for doing it as an RNR rank, call CTC but I have a funny feeling you will be told politely to $*&% off. But you never know! Its a challenging course phys wise so if you are fit and think you can talk them round give it a bash!

8. Actually, that (latter part) may not be the case. There is an issue with the number of students that make a reserve course viable and I know that the couple that are in the programme each year are occasionally cancelled for this reason. I think that 2 issues are (with a little knowledge of ISC and SOTR) that RNR don't meet the criteria and that would require your unit to justify attendance (ie is there a line number for a PTI that is unfilled?). This would probably have to be done via FLEET but may be possible direct from unit to CTCRM. If your unit was prepared to put up a case I would suggest an initial enquiry to ISC TO or OC about availability.

IMD