RMR Merseyside

Discussion in 'RMR' started by SamD, Sep 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 16 years old and I am interested in joining the RMR in Merseyside. At the moment I am in college and Marine cadets and I am reasonably fit. I just wanted to know when the intakes are? What things you do on a parade night? How many trained ranks are there in an RMR unit? And can you join the regs if you are a fully trained reservist or do you have to do the Commando course all over again?

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sam,
    I was wondering why you've opted for reservist rather than straight into regulars?

3. Im doing 3 years college

4. alright Sam

firstly you have just missed a selection weekend and intake - however at 16 you would not be elligable to attend.
    17 1/2 is the minimum age. if you call the Recruiting Sgt on 0800 783 9529 he will be able to advise you of a selection you could attend.
    can you transfer to regular RM - Yes under certain circumstances following FTRS ( full time reserve service )
    how many trained ranks in a unit depends on the unit but roughly 100.
    what do you do on a drill night - normally some phys and a period of instruction / lecture / weekend prep / admin

hope this helps

5. Cheers for the info moose and Soliel but I was wondering why I have to be 17 1/2 when is says on the website 16?

6. not sure if the website is out of date - however there are all sorts of issues with recruits who are under 18
    parents permission is required for just about everything and there is also a massive "duty of care " in all sorts of areas

ie sleeping arrangements - a 16 year old is not allowed to sleep in the same room as a group of adults !! etc etc etc

dont be in such a rush and to be honest there is a possibilty you could fail selection on maturity

7. Hi,

It really is as moose says. The official line from the recruiting site is correct that you can apply from 16, but in practice the units prefer you to be 17.5 on commencement of the selection/training course. It appears that the units do have the final decision on who they take and at what age.

Regards and the best of luck

SM

:)

8. That's a disappointment but cheers for the info anyway.

9. Theres a lad in the current RMR Mersey recruit troop who isn't yet 17.5. However, he is very mature and is potential officer material, so perhaps they made a concession for him due to his level of maturity

10. well with RMR Mersey close to closing / being run down, you should maybe look at other units

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:lol: Total bullshit.

Keep 'em coming Lofty, you're amusing me.

12. What is it about this site that it attracts such savants..? :roll:

edited to include quote

13. Ah your just bitter because you left RMR London me old china!!! :wink: :D

Hope your well mate

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on.

The worry is that one day, someone will actually believe what they read on an unofficial forum posted by an individual that is ill-disposed toward the Armed Forces.

15. My advice, no rush, work hard at your phys and bide your time..

16. Sounds like the same reject SNLR who used to write on the walls at Altcar about the RMR being crap.

17. You've got to love the butts at Altcar...

18. Stoker
    As a Matelot from AFCO, you would know what is happening in a marine unit !!!! I think not. The numbers of attendees are dropping - like a stone

But we will see shall we - time will tell

19. and you know this because..?