RMR deployment

Discussion in 'RMR' started by spinmoore, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am thinking of joining RMR for personal gain and to help out with disaster relief.

Can anyone tell me if its true you only get deployed if you volunteer to?

What are the chances of getting called up, does anyone know? I went on the official Saber website that said reserves have been called up for Afgan, Iraq and others. The RMR official website also said reserves inevitably get called up at some point.

However ex-reserves on this site say you only go if you volunteer and you can refuse. I am confused and would be greatful if someone could give me a reliable answer.

Cheers

2. Hello mate

I'm not sure about the current call up system for RMR personnel as i have been out quite a while. It might be worth Pm'ing ninja stoker who might give you the answer you need.

NB

3. Thanks.

I have emailed Stoke Ninja so hope I may get an answer there.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya, Happy to help if I can.

I've posted my reply here in case there are others with a similar concern to yourself.

The RMR are permanently on-call to augment the Regular Royal Marines on operational tours of duty whenever there is a shortfall of skilled manpower.

Initially volunteers are called for & most of the time these positions are filled by volunteers. In the event insufficient volunteers step forward then you could face compulsory mobilisation, regardless of your ethical, religious or social beliefs as you swear an oath of allegiance. It is becoming more & more common for qualified (trained) RMR Commandos to be mobilised due to the scale of UK military commitment overseas.

Whilst the Royal Marines frequently undertake humanitarian peace-keeping duties that is most certainly not their primary role & you should definitely not consider joining the RMR with a view to choosing the role in which you are prepared to be utilised. The ethic is "Service Before Self".

There are many ex-Marines serving in a humanitarian role world-wide, however they will all have served with the same commitment whilst in the Corps & that is why the government pays the wages & there is little point being a trained Commando otherwise.

Possibly THIS Médecins Sans Frontières or THIS International Rescue Corps would be more suited to your needs.

Hope that helps & the very best of luck to you.

5. Spot on Slim.

The RMR currently works on a system called Intelligent Mobilisation. This is basically when Marines will put forward through the CoC, their ability to deploy. Think of it as:

RED (I cannot deploy)

AMBER (I wont volunteer, but will go if asked)

GREEN (Fighting order is already packed Boss!!)

All Royal Marines are listed in their specific catagory, with there relevant SQ's and Ad Quals noted against their details. Then when the Corps deploys on Operations, it basically will use this as a shopping list and pick the most suitable candidates for mobilisation.

During Telic 1, 120 RMR ranks were compulsory mobilised as IR's and since then have deployed in smaller groups to provide either IR's, Force Protection or in the CIMIC role.

The RMR currently has Marines deployed on Herrick, but to the best of my knowledge they were all volunteers.

Dont let this lead you into any false sense of security though. Whilst it is voluntary at the moment, this could and will most likey change back to compulsory mobilisation at some point in the future.

Cheers

6. I'm in it purely for ops myself. I know that in 10 years time, I will regret not having been on ops.

7. ........... Hi spin., I can't make out what you are trying to say, are you afraid to be Call to duty ?.... if you want to help in disaster relief really why afraid to be deploy to Afghan to relief Afghan ppl from the hand of the bad guys....LIVE beyond your weakness ; Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves ..Good Luck mate