RMR as a medical student

Discussion in 'RMR' started by DrMings, Nov 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm in my first year of medical school and was thinking about joining the RMR. However I remember hearing somewhere that students aren't deployed on operations, is this true? This would put me off somewhat because my course is very long, so it would be a long time until I have an opportunity to serve. I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the matter.

Thanks! :)

2. It's been done loads of times before. The Med Students who went RMR when I was at uni did nothing else for their first 3 years. Quite a commitment when that's probably the best time at Uni for doing 'other things': especially if you want to join as a Dr because there are plenty of chances to go to AACC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply. My main concern is that I wouldn't be able to go out on ops while I'm studying (5 more years :(). The main reason I want to join is to serve as a general duties marine e.g. go on patrols and such because its an experience that very few people have. I also know a few people in the forces and they all love what they do. If I were to join as a Dr I'm guessing I would see no such action.

4. As an RMR I doubt you'd be on patrol as a GD Marine, unless a) we go into another series of ill advised conflicts for a decade it two or b) you were very, very lucky with your mobilisation.

I know a Surg Lt who was awarded a MBE for her services to RM under fire, there were also plenty enough Surg Lt Cdr/Surg Cdr/Surg Capt who got shot at in the back of a helicopter whilst MERT.

At the end of the day, if you want to be a light infantryman, join up as one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you think MOs don't put themselves in harm's way then you are mistaken.

You're a bit wet behind the ears for such prejudice!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

We had a RMR company 2 ic years ago, bloody good bloke as it happened. I bumped into him a fair few years after leaving B Coy 40 CDO and he was a Surg Lt with his dagger up, I guess he was doing the same course that you are starting out on, good luck but why be a rifleman when you can be a troop commander?

7. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Doable but only by someone who is mega-committed. It's becoming a good way to mark out your future career path when regular. I've seen a lot of punchy docs go through with their RMR dagger.
    Just remember if you do this that the time will come when you need to change your mindset from RMR to commando-trained RN Medical Officer.

8. Its a hard choice-medical
    School is hard enough, and you
    Only really learn medicine after you qualify. Even then you aren't really thought of as much till you are a consultant, or GP partner. I say do one or the other, or one then the other. Finish 1 problem, then move on. Just my thoughts....

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. Dr Mings, it's do-able, met a marine (as in rank and service) that was at the helm of an ORC...he was also a Doctor (MD) in civvi street, Green Lid and happy, was told by "the system" that he would have to go piggy if he wanted to deploy as a Dr, so he stayed marine and his lads have the best medical cover when ever they do what they do.

10. Dr M;
    If I understand your question correctly this is more about deployment as a whole, rather than in what role (or even what colour beret).

The issue is that students cannot be forcibly mobilised, to the best of my knowledge. However the issue for you as a student (of any course) is that there is simply not enough time between Uni terms to train, deploy and recover - its about nine months in all.

Of course a training fortnight can be taken easily during (especially) Uni holidays; but that is not operational.
    Hope that helps.

BH