RMR and Police

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Taff87, Jan 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    Appologies if this has been done before I've searched this site and can't seem to find any information. Here goes I'm currently in my first year of being a police officer and am looking at doing a stint in the RMR as not only will I complete a lifelong ambition it also looks good when specializing for certain roles in the police ie firearms, close protection. The question is has anyone heard of coppers doing this before if so did they manage it well and secondly would I have to volunteer for tours of duty or would I be mobilized and again do I have any say in the matter if I am mobilized ( I would acctually be interested in doing my bit and working alongside the regs).
  2. Some Police forces allow only a small percentage of officers to be in the Reserves (notably the Met).

You may have to wait for a while before a space becomes available within your constabulary. Best to ask your HR department.
  3. I'm not sure what the situation is these days as to whether POlice ranks can join the RMR but in the 1990's there were serving Police in the ranks with some being C.O19 types. I would wait until the AFCO bods that man this site come along to confirm what the situation is thee days.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated above, it's all down to the area Chief Constable with regard joining the reserves, some say yes, some say no, others say yes with limitations. My local constabulary only allow 2% of the Police to join the Reserves & operate a waiting list.

The RMR will take you providing you pass selection however you need the OK from the Head Honcho first.

Best of luck.
  5. As XRD has said their have been a number of policemen who have served / are serving in the RMR. At one point some chose not to declare it to their police force but that all changed with the Reserve Forces Act 1996 which made it mandatory to notify your employer of your Reserve Forces involvement. NS, as usual is bob on with his advice. I would also advise to check on when you would be eligible to join in your probationary year. I know a number of policemen who have deployed and in every case their force has been very supportive and not placed any obstacles in their way; having a limit on the number joining allows them to do this without impacting adversely on the police's operational effectiveness.

Should you be fortunate enough to be given permission to try for the RMR and decide to go for it I would be cautious of stating enhancing your CV as your primary reason for wanting to join. The RMR has always attracted more than its fair share of trophy hunters ("did I tell you I was a Commando"), 'outdoor athletes' wanting their next challenge and, yes, people looking for an 'in' / wanting to add to their CV. The answer to your question reference volunteering / mobilisation is you will be mobilised and you should only join if you and those that depend on you are comfortable in that knowledge. Currently this effectively means writing off one year away from your civilian life and career for a 6 month deployment plus pre-deployment training.

If you decide it's for you and your employer sanctions it, good luck!
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

As you are still in your probationary period I wouldn' think that any such request would be looked on favourably, get yourself qualified and your courses done before looking for other challenges would be my advice.
  7. Wait until you probation is out and then apply. It will not be looked on favourably if you do, (persons who have membership before joining is a different kettle of fish).

You'll need permission from the Chief officer 1st and then you can apply.

My force alllows 0.65% of the force to join, and thats the second largest in Britian.

PS dont hold your breath, it took me 6.5 years to get permission, and with 9.5 years service I've only just joined the R.N.R!!!
  8. Only a year in service with the Police and you now want to embark on some of the toughest Military Training in the World in probably the most difficult manner ie as a Reservist?
    Reality check for the man in the Blue Suit with the T!% on his head please! :lol:
  9. Hear hear NZ.
    Definately got his head in the clouds.
    Besides, I would have thought that todays Plod are too PC to fit in with the Military sense of humour. :lol:
  10. It was'nt me :thefinger: !
  11. maybe the promoted ones are, devoid of humour, but Joe Plod still has a sense one. Trust me.
  12. Taff
    what RMR unit are you thinking of joining - i might be able to put you in touch with a serving plod / rmr
    from my experience its very difficult to join RMR whilst still a probationer but can be done

ballsy shout though - you will need to be 100% commited
  13. Appologies in the lateness of this reply my internet has been down I've done some digging
    and I am unable to apply for the RMR until I am out of my probationary period
    however with this said I am unfased as I now have timr to hone my phys to get ready to
    apply thank you very much in your replies you have helped out a lot I'm viewing this as a
    Minor set back and hope to apply asap

Cheers again