RMO or WEO?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sinom360, Jan 5, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi firstly I am sorry if the following is considered a shit post, I've used the search and what I got was a bit lacking also I would rather talk to the men/women who could give proper advice.

So some background on myself, I am English born with both Irish parents, I wanted to join the Army at 15 but parents wouldn't consent. Went on do my A-levels and have a degree in biomed engineering(think the robot legs, electronics, stem cell... on and on). I am 23 now and I have no other interest in working in a lab for the rest of my life as my final year project was dull and boring. I have expressed interest into applying for WEO on the boats but I am considering RMO as it is a more active role in my opinion. I would choose the RM position at the moment due to by ambition would be to serve in the SAS, I know the huge undertaking it is to achieve but I would see it as a life best lived if I got to serve. I have no intention of ever starting a family or getting married and would rather live my own life.

Ok my question is work on the Boats or become a Marine?

2. Although the SAS and SBS (and any other 3 letter acronyms we don't know about yet) fall under UKSF, the Royal Marine route would take you along the SBS route initially.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Plenty of bootnecks have joined the SAS, it's even easier to join them from a Cdo Unit now than ever before. (From an admin point of view that is). Concentrate on passing out of recruit/YO training first, be that a WEO or in the Corps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Anyone can apply direct for SAS, SBS, SRR, etc., after joining, whatever their source branch. Not all SBS are former Marines (although most are) and not all SAS are Army (although most are). I'm told, from those that know, Royal Marines account for 37% of UKSF whilst only making-up just over 3% of UK Armed Forces manpower. If you want to be an SF trooper on the ground, at the sharp end, then Other Rank Royal Marine is more closely aligned with regard fieldcraft skills, experience & first hand combat experience than a submariner Weapons Engineering Officer. There will be correspondingly fewer WEOs in the SAS than Royal Marines, but more Army personnel than Royal Marines.

With regard not pursuing a career that you found dull and boring, it's worth identifying which aspects you found made it so. If being indoors, behind a desk, taxing yourself mentally was part of it, you may find certain service careers, including Royal Marines Officer, involve more "admin" aspects than perhaps you imagined. Beware thinking that having A Levels or a degree means you're destined for a managerial job - about 40% of RM other ranks are qualified for Officer & a large number have a degree. One other rank recruit troop had 17 grads out of 52 and the average troop usually has at least two or three grads.

In short, if fitness & the outdoor life is your thing, then the route is fairly evident but if you're a bit of an indoors boffin rather than an adrenalin junkie, the path is also evident.

SAS? Maybe. Staying single? Yeah, right.

• Like Like x 1
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ninja will also tell you not to listen to your parents if the recommend joining the Army rather than the RN because its safer!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, "Don't join the Army" my Dad told me, "You'll only get blown-up in Northern Ireland"

Spin forward 12 months....

argonaut_boiler_room_bomb.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. I was sitting at a machines for 11-14 hours a day testing samples for 3 month straight with only getting breakfast and supper due to the amount of work I had to complete. I have no problem doing paperwork or anything like that just not fond of not getting to do something more worthwhile.

I in no way think having a degree should demand any sort of seniority, I just read the characteristics for the role and find many apply to how I have conducted myself in the past. I really just needed some advice from the horses mouth and am meeting up with one of my best mates to find out what he thinks if I could be an officer or not. If he says I am a complete twat and would be useless, I'll listen and finish up talks with the recruiter.

Thanks all

8. Ninja_Stoker

Best o-luck.

If you haven't had a browse already, the Potential Royal Marines Commando ( PRMC) Forum has plenty of discussions for those similarly placed and may just help give you that bit more insight: Royal Marines Forum

So far as I'm aware there isn't a Potential WEO Forum ;)

9. You'll fit right in...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker