RM Pilots!

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Chrismith92, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon gents,

Looking for any RM pilots around on here. A good friend of mine is currently a lance-jack with 40 but is interested in a corps commission as a pilot. I'm a WAFU myself but just wanted to confirm the training route for you booty types: where do FAT/AIB fit in the pipeline? Is it a straight through training system like it is (supposedly) with us in dark blue or do you do a GD style job after Lympstone?

thanks in advance

2. I know of 2 Bootnecks who was commissioned and went aircrew; both started as an Aircrewman and then became a RN Lynx Observer, going AIB - FAT - BRNC - Observer Training, remaining Dark Blue through-out.

IIRC Ninjastoker has said there are 1 or 2 Corps Commissions a year, and I don't think either of them get to go straight for Pilot. If they were selected for the Corps Commission, they'd have to compete for the Pilots course after doing their first GD draft.

In many ways, it is easier (but not by much) to go straight for an UY Commission as a WAFU then trying to remain within the Corps to do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. There was a handful on the sea harrier/GR "bastard son of " harrier, got an e mail off one yesterday who his keeping his hand in flying F18's in the states waiting for the f35's
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If an RM Other Rank goes for a Corps Commission within the Corps, there`s the "little matter" of completing 60 weeks of pass/fail RM YO training before anything else.

To become a pilot, he`s better off going for an RN commission as a Pilot. He`s already got his green beret, so not much point travelling around the world to reach the end of your street and risk failing RM YO training in addition to later having to pass aircrew selection & training.

Edit to add; As stated above by Alf.
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. Just out of curiosity. Are there no more enlisted RM Pilots now? Used to have Sergeant Pilots on Bulwark and Albion in the 70's.
  6. Nope, IIRC NCO pilots in the Corps had the choice of AAC or try for a Commission, must have been about 10-15 years ago, when it got changed.
  7. Didn't know that.Sad day for the Corps.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Lad I went through training with became a pilot. I think he was the last to change over and get his commission. Sad day when NCO pilots got axed from the Corps.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ta TenToes.
  10. What does the AFCO man use as an enticement to young thrusters nowadays, if the "You could get to be an SNCO helicopter Pilot, if you play your cards right, lad." option has gone.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

We just tell 'em that they can be a Sniper, Parachutist, SBS, ML, Diver blokey instead. It seems to work - as long as we don't tell them they may have to clean the bogs from time to time, too. :grin:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Both of my ex Bootneck mates (Lynx Obs, and Lynx/Sk4 Pilot) left and joined the RN to commission and fly as it was an easier route. YO training is considerably longer and more demanding than BRNC and then there's the aircrew pipeline after that. All depends where the OPs chum wants to be in the long term CGRM with wings or 1SL with wings ;-)
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

My 10 year was told that 5 years ago...it works, each day he asks is it too soon to apply! Only another 6 years to wait LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sadly the best route to flying these days in the RN/RM/RAF is commission then try for Pilot. Biggest problem with the Corps is they want all Officers to be future CGRM therefore its an arduos route even after Cdo training.

The RAF/RN pipeline starts with you on the route to Pilot, the same applies if you go to the AAC as an Officer.

The only chance of NCO Pilot now is Army, either AAC or through the various Regt/Corps systems, but for these you need to be substansive Cpl or equivalent. The chances are slim to say the least.

The last RM SNCO Pilot was Darby Allen who finally finished about 3 yrs ago, myself and another guy saw our time out and he went to the North Sea and I went AAC for a few yrs.

Quite a few ex NCO pilots have commisioned and are doing well flying SAR, AH (USMC and AAC) couple on the Sea King and Merlin Sqn's and even one who eventually went RAF and is now a C130 driver. All have done very well and have shown the calibre of RM in any given role..

Sad to see another Corps role gone.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  15. Just to play Devil's advocate and stir up some debate, what is the point of RM pilots?

Did they bring anything to the party that a FAA pilot didn't? If not then the decision to bin them was fully justified. Why go through the expense of training someone up to be a super soldier commando, then put them through pilot training, when you could achieve the same end result without the bother and cost of the commando course?

For every booty that goes pilot, you essentially lose a good lad who is no longer doing a marine's main job, where as a direct entry FAA pilot is a pilot from the off.
  16. And just to add fuel to the fire, they are career managed by the RN FAA chap, not the RM one, so it's not like the RM ever see him again either.
  17. Indeed, from my limited understanding, in terms of role, promotion and career pipeline, a booty pilot is basically identical to an FAA pilot on the same airframe, except he wears a different rig and has a different rank. So essentially when a booty becomes a pilot he pretty much transfers to the RN anyway.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Whenever this particular topic comes up - and it often does (possibly due to members of Royalty flitting between attractive service jobs, which make people believe they can select a range of successive jobs in the job supermarket from the "Finest" range) I always advise; identify your primary objective and go for it because nothing else is assured.

If you want to be a pilot, join as a pilot. If you want to be a Commando, join as a Royal Marine. If you want to be both, prioritise. A RM Officer that fails to complete YO training becomes a civilian. An RN Pilot that fails AACC, is still a pilot.

Very often we get med students who want to be Commandos - no problem if they can be spared to do AACC whilst serving or earn their beret in the RMR before joining the mob, post-registration. Snag is, they very often miss the point that we ain't going to be paying a surgeon's wage to someone who wants to be at the sharp-end creating casualties in a GD role, rather than using his skills to fix the casualty. Likewise we pay theologians to bury the dead and offer wise counsel, not create people to bury or making them go wibble.
  19. Purely out of interest are docs allowed to join the RMR/RNR as anything other than docs?

I joined the HAC with a lad who was in the final year or so of his medical degree, he had been told that as soon as he qualified, he would be obliged to transfer to the RAMC as a doc whether he liked it or not. The TA don't let doctors serve in any other trade.
  20. I would have thought a doctor wouldn't be allowed to bear arms as a frontline infantryman/commando/tankie as it would be against the rules (Geneva convention or suchlike), unless he doesn't declare his medical qualifications but that would surely come out on his background checks.