RM expected wait times

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Snowman91, Aug 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me the current expected waiting time at this point from starting an application to join the Royal Marines, to entering Lympstone? Assuming the recruit passes all the various tests in the recruitment process first time without a problem.
    The closest post I can find with waiting times referred to is from 2011, and I'd imagine it's changed since then. My AFCO is currently closed at the time of writing and I'm a bit curious about it.

Cheers guys.

2. @Ninja_Stoker will be along in a moment, but I'm pretty sure the stumbling block is always the applicant, especially on PRMC fitness standards. If you pass all of everything first time, probably 4 - 5 months.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As Alf states, 4 months is certainly possible, but the average guy takes nearer 8 months, usually either through delays at medical or lack of physical preparation.

Good luck.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nina, has there been much of a surge in interest in applicants for the RM since the programme started?

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'd be surprised if there hadn't been. That programme makes it look easy.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Applications have approximately doubled for Royal Marines.

The perception by many trained ranks and others is that it does not really represent the rigours of training or that it is portrayed as easier than when they underwent training. I reckon it's a bit of both.

The TV programme is not intended to portray the rigours of training really as it is an independent television entertainment production, it's not a recruiting initiative so far as I'm aware.

The focus appears to be on the human angle and the individual challenges that all recruits face. Sometimes they overcome the hurdles, sometimes they don't.

Ultimately the "Finished Product" faces the same challenges that all Royal Marines Commandos have faced, the Commando Tests are unchanged. To date, I've yet to hear a Royal confess it was easier in their day but would concede the methodology of achieving a trained rank will evolve over time. The reasons for change are due to lessons learned, the change in mindset of training to pass, not to fail.

Outside influencers include plain old common sense, health and safety legislation and, some may be surprised to learn, auditing bodies such as Ofsted.

So far as I'm aware, the Royal Marines Commandos remain as operationally capable as ever before, so they must be doing something right. That said, many former & serving trained ranks are not happy that it focuses on those struggling because obviously they personally breezed through training themselves without any snags (yeah, right ;)).

Then again, some trained ranks complain that the TV programme makes it look too easy - you can't win.

7. It may also be because the RM, specifically CTCRM, lead the way in coaching and mentoring in the Naval Service, who in turn lead the way in the Armed Forces. Brig CTCRM realised that he was spending quite a lot of money on blokes who failed on relatively simple things: if you can train that out (within the existing programme/MEL) then you not only get a trained rank out of it, you don't have to pay to attract another recruit to meet the requirement.

I know shouty shouty is all cool and the gang, but a focused 45 minute 1:1 session on a WHT before kicking a bloke out is generally worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I was lucky enough to have a good chat with the Brigadier quite recently and he's definitely leading the way on this. First time I've met a senior Officer with a stronger colloquial accent than myself. Top bloke. ;)

9. Whilst they have focused on the 'weaker' (if that's the right word for someone who has at least made it into recruit training) it has been refreshing to see interviews with the training team to gauge what they are looking for and what they want to create from recruits.

I don't buy the argument that the programme is making training look easy. Whilst they may have focused on those who are struggling and how they try and bring them round, from what I can recall all have them have either been back trooped or left. Ironically it was the one who people probably thought would go first, Bond, who has remained (as far as we know).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Another thing that I feel is very positive is members of the training team divulge which areas of training they struggled with themselves - evidence that one, it isn't easy but two, you can still achieve success.

11. JCT

JCT Badgeman

From the people I've been speaking to, I imagine a lot of it comes from the frustration that is created when they discover that, contrary to their pre-conceived notions of "baby killers of basra" and the military being some gang of blockheaded simpletons, there is more humanity involved in HMAF than they can deal with.

The other day I saw a tweet that read something along the lines of "This training looks tough but we still lost both of the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, they can't be that good". With that sheer lack of socio-political awareness, people will never be happy. They could have broadcast a 32 weeks filled with daily mud runs and endurance courses, the same people would still complain about some inane shite.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

I rather like that observation.