RM Band Pompey -Thanks!

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having spent the last couple of days with the "Big Band" group from 'RMBS Portsmiff' visiting 4 schools in the North West, in very short order, I thought a swift post was in order to say a huge thanks for a sterling effort to all concerned - already the phonecalls from prospective future musicians are being received!

Most schools probably don't expect the style & delivery of contemporary music from a military band, in fact even a serving RM Commando accompanying me was gob-smacked at the performances as he's only ever seen the military aspect at CTC.

Things you don't expect to hear over the PA system at an RM Band concert, but certainly did yesterday: "Will pupils please try to keep body-surfing to an absolute minimum".

The funny thing is that we always warn the teaching staff that the concerts get rather lively & that the students will be dancing by about the third song & they nearly always give the wry reply: "I doubt it at this school, somehow". Wrong.

It's always a delight, once the students are whipped-up into a hyperactive vocal dancing frenzy, to depart with the words, "Erm, over to you..."

Again, tip top & many thanks for the hard work & excellent musicianship.
  2. I think I saw these guys at the Mountbatten Festival. They are brilliant!
  3. Sounds like you all had a good time.

In 8 years I've only put 3 RMBS in, think I could do with a visit in my area to "drum" up some trade.

4. I have seen these guys, and more more aspects pf ther music .From big band ,dance band,jazz band. show band and other types i dont know the names of (titles .Of course all are superb as ever
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, from a recruiting perspective, similar to the landing of a helicopter at a school, they are also superb for sowing the seeds of an interest in the RN/RM for all trades, not just musicians - bearing in mind some of these youngsters will not be completing education for between 1 to 10 years (in the case of Year 7's who go to uni).

When it comes to value for money advertising, nothing is better at raising the profile in a positive light - especially when you look at the cost of TV & cinema advertising & the groups targetted.
  6. Never a true word spoken!!!!

7. A good friend of mine from school, was in the RM band. Joined up a few months before I joined the RN.

I got to spend one day a week with the band for a month, when I was at Dryad (mainly to get me off base, whislt waiting for my draft). They guys/girls worked hard, play harder (so to speak) and I would recommend the RM bandto any budding musical types :wink:
  8. What type of Moosic Qualification is needed exactly to join HM Band Service?