River Class MSF

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by FlagWagger, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

At the risk of being labelled a lamp-swinging old fart ...

Can anyone fill in any of the blanks on the following WIKI page relating to the late lamented / much hated River Class MSFs?

I've tried to correct the information as much as possible but recognise that as I've got older my memory is progressively failing and that therefore my edits may be incorrect!

2. FW you're tempting fate :)
    M(R)

3. I saw two of them along side in Brazil in late August 06 - on the Rio Grande, while coming out of Porto Allegre on the castle.

4. Flagwagger,
    I dont want to update the site, all codes etc, and Im sure that I will screw it up. Heres some missing information for you, I hope you can add it as required:
    WAVENEY - Comissioned 12 July 84, all BN Rivers transfered 3 Oct 94, and all recomissioned togethers into the Bangladesh Navy 27 Apr 95.
    CARRON - Comissioned 30 Sept 84
    DOVEY - Comissioned 30 Mar 85
    HELFORD - Comissioned 7 Jun 85
    HUMBER - Comissioned 7 Jun 85 transfered 31 Jan 95
    HELMSDALE - Comissioned 1 Mar 86
    RIBBLE - Comissioned 19 Feb 86
    I hope this helps

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

RN dates added - many thanks

6. As stated in another thread Humber replaced Ribble on the Mersey as she was "as new and hardly used".

7. Absolutely correct. HMS Ribble had a very high mileage and was part ex'ed for an "as new" model (HMS Humber)around 1990, I think.

M_M

8. If Humber was 'nearly new' then I'd hate to think what state Ribble was in.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Used... by scousers!

10. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have kept a couple, with RIBs on the back and a few of the new chain guns around the upper deck? Could be quite useful in the Gulf at the moment to support boarding op? Cheap, simple, made of steel, and I guess a shallow draught (but I stand by to be corrected on the draught).

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Totally unsuited to operations in a climate other than temperate. The habitability below decks even in the Western Med in May was abysmal and resulted in comms equipment over-heating (the most surreal signal I was ever given to type was from the WEO reporting that we'd lost all our crypto and couldn't transmit or receive on any ship-shore or inter-ship circuit!).

12. Ribble was in a bad state due to the extremely high mileage on the clock! Rudder pins shot, to name just one defect. Like all the MSFs, the ME and WE departments were made up of some very skilled people, some ex-RN, others from industry. They did an excellent job of keeping the hull running but even they couldn't keep Ribble going!

I agree totally with FW about the lack of suitability to warmer climates. The mess decks were very uncomfortable anywhere south of Northern Europe. Basically they were a cheap and cheerful platform with no or few creature comforts on board. Having said that, loads of fun!!!!

13. The reason why Ribble "died" was her Port ME piston rings. All in piecesI was there when it happened.

14. M1113, Was that jour driving again?

15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

So...... port main engine goes bang, give Humber to the Scousers, send Ribble to Pompey as U/S and then a few years later sell her to another country and hope that they'll not notice :)

The PTO Clutch and gearbox on the MSF was also quite sensitive and prone to self-destruction - I was on the Carron when her's went T/U.

16. Having served in ships built for winter north altlantic convoy duty in the tropics such things are suviveable, you just earn how to keep going.

17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

But, in the olden day's didn't you just open the gun ports to let in some fresh air? :twisted:

18. Not quite that old, it was more the popped rivets, not quite so much ventilation, mind you we did have scuttles and wind scoops but my cabin was too close to the waterline to use at sea.