Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Risk Assessment of Military Exercise on Vessel

The company I work for has been tasked with providing a vessel to be used as a static venue for a foreign "military exercise of an undisclosed nature" later in the year. I have been tasked with looking at Risk Assessment and putting in place suitable and sufficient control measures. I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has done this type of RA before and has developed a list of hazardous activities associated specifically with the structure and layout of a vessel and its inherent features (i.e. vertical ladders, drops, hatch openings, confined space, ventilation etc). I am guessing that many of the inherent hazards can be related to the exercise as a starting point and then add in the military aspects which will increase likelihood and severity somewhat. Then likely internal and external conditions (lights off where they should be on as part of a safety case, wind and weather, approaching vessels/helo etc). There is of course an element of confidentiality about this and I would be happy to discuss through private message. Many thanks.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Somebody else will point out that this isn't actually Current Affairs. Not me.

While it is good to seek advice 'your company' should seek out a reputable Risk Assessment advisor - and pay them - perhaps using your exRN (?) experience for some guidance.

Looks like a poisoned chalice for one not aware of the pitfalls of Risk Assessment.

Thanks SB - which would be a more appropriate thread?

I have a NEBOSH Level 5 Diploma and 25 years HSE experience. Land based in Army and Fire Service, Oil and Gas. I can apply principles of Risk Assessment - just seeking a starting point for HAZID on a vessel.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Moved to the Quarterdeck.

I would have thought the first part to Risk Assess is boarding the vessel, you say it's static so I'm assuming it's floating therefore tidal reach and gangways would be a starter for ten, i.e. is the gangway secured at one end, is it in date for test etc etc.

Moved to the Quarterdeck.

I would have thought the first part to Risk Assess is boarding the vessel, you say it's static so I'm assuming it's floating therefore tidal reach and gangways would be a starter for ten, i.e. is the gangway secured at one end, is it in date for test etc etc.
Thank you for your reply and I agree that a visit would be ideal. The problem is that the vessel is inaccessible at the moment due to travel and other restrictions. I am trying to start with a systematic 'desk top' risk assessment, which will identify some of the major accident hazards and control measures. Some if which will be time bound and some may impact the exercise design (no go areas and activities). I can then carry out a dynamic risk assessment as and when I get access. I am also trying to access plans, P&ID's, equipment lists, SOP's. MOPO etc.

RabC

MIA
If you’ve any contacts in the offshore side of oil and gas I suggest you speak to them. I work offshore oil/gas and all the companies have their own offshore HSE department. There should be a generic RA for moving around on a boat/ship that you can then add to for your specific task. Also try NSP over on ARRSE as he maybe able to get you one from Fugro.

If you’ve any contacts in the offshore side of oil and gas I suggest you speak to them. I work offshore oil/gas and all the companies have their own offshore HSE department. There should be a generic RA for moving around on a boat/ship that you can then add to for your specific task. Also try NSP over on ARRSE as he maybe able to get you one from Fugro.
Cheers Rab, A couple of ex Mil Svy mates contract for Fugro so will follow that route. Will also PM NSP, Many thanks

Chris P

War Hero
Another approach as part of the whole is to have a prestart meeting round table with all parties involved as part of your HAZID, this always happened as a matter of course on any offshore site investigations we were involved in and involved everyone actually taking part. Obviously if you have 'hundreds' involved then it is not practical, but the major players, supervisors, leading hands etc. should provide good input. Fugro know all about this aspect.

Another approach as part of the whole is to have a prestart meeting round table with all parties involved as part of your HAZID, this always happened as a matter of course on any offshore site investigations we were involved in and involved everyone actually taking part. Obviously if you have 'hundreds' involved then it is not practical, but the major players, supervisors, leading hands etc. should provide good input. Fugro know all about this aspect.
Agreed this would be ideal. In this case the vessel is out of bounds at the moment and the local military power are not interested in engaging with us (the owners of the vessel) or telling us the nature of their exercise. They have used the vessel in the past but no RA was done and vessel was damaged. There will be other regional forces involved. I am working up the Risk Assessment to cover our own interests and potential liabilities. We can also use the evidence presented through the RA process to try to cordon off certain areas to protect equipment and assets. We will also remove some hard to replace equipment to shore and do a pre and post exercise photographic survey to identify any damage. I have ex-Mil Svy colleague working for Fugro and also one on Saipem 7000 so have sent messages asking for any related info. Many thanks for your help.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I've just remembered "back in the day" I had to do a weeks course at HMS Excellent, one day of which was carrying out a search of HMS Bristol for a role playing armed terrorist, There were role playing peace campers and dockyard workers scattered around to make it interesting, lucky for them we only had blank ammunition and only certain compartments of Bristol were used for this (lucky for me as a submariner, I had no idea where I was most of the time) whilst other areas were used by sea cadets and others,

Excellent must have RAs for the Bristol, especially as youth groups use her.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Clive of India’s Durbar set at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community engagement on Tenbury Wells flood risk management scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improvements to Ironbridge flood defences reduce risk of flooding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public consultation begins on £3.3 million plans to reduce flood risk to 221 properties in Penketh and Whittle Brooks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community testing offer rolled out to highest risk Tier 2 areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Climate change and risk management event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted warns of risk to children ‘out of sight’ during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Roadmap to remove high risk vendors from telecoms network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS At-risk groups to receive free winter supply of vitamin D MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RSH publishes its sector risk profile for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Luton flood storage area to reduce risk to 600 properties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator criticises Buddhist charity for putting students at risk of harm MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sleep disorder drug modafinil linked to increased risk of birth defects and also to reduced effectiveness of contraception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities at risk of flooding urged to apply for a share of £200m resilience programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Avian Influenza incursion risk raised to high in Great Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCA climate risk plans welcomed by Pensions Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark legislation helping people at risk of homelessness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River maintenance works to reduce flood risk at Clayton West MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA updates competition law risk guide for managers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sheffield river maintenance works to reduce flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Aid Convoy’ removed from register and trustees disqualified after management failings put charity at undue risk of associations with terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New payment for people self-isolating in highest risk areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking action on climate risk: Improving governance and reporting by occupational pension schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain’s pension schemes lead on climate risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to manage surface water flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence: Second Annual Inspection of ‘Adults at Risk’ in immigration detention MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Environment Agency offers online consultation on next phase of the £25m Carlisle flood risk management scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health and care workers to self-isolate on return to England from high-risk countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health and care workers to self-isolate on return to UK from high-risk countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flood Risk Management Scheme ongoing in West Cumbria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major new campaign encourages millions to lose weight and cut COVID-19 risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Excess weight can increase risk of serious illness and death from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tax credits deadline: customers at risk of losing out MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ancient mosaic from Roman Dorset at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Incredibly rare maps of the defeat of the Spanish Armada at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Outstanding Roman figures of Celtic Hounds at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self-isolation lifted for lower risk countries in time for holidays this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leeds trial using nature to reduce flood risk gets on its marks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual project to reduce coastal flood risk in Lincolnshire starts in June MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £11m Caton Road, Lancaster Flood Risk Mitigation Scheme continues in line with Covid-19 guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clamping down on risk of unsafe PPE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 1 million food boxes delivered to those most at risk from coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: Annual inspection of ‘Adults at Risk in Immigration Detention’ (2018–19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over half a million food packages delivered to those at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive appointment to MOJ Departmental Board and Chair of Audit and Risk Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): increased risk of fraud and cybercrime against charities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prison estate expanded to protect NHS from coronavirus risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Measures announced to protect NHS from coronavirus risk in prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smokers at greater risk of severe respiratory disease from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A trial using nature to help reduce flood risk hailed a success MoD News 0