RIP William 'Bill' McGrath - HMS Jamaica

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Emandion, Oct 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. William 'Bill' McGrath (Born 29th March 1930), an ex-marine who served on board the HMS Jamaica (Pennant No. 44, often nicknamed "The Fighting J") passed away in the early hours of the morning, Saturday 19th of October, 2008, aged 78.

I, myself, am not a relative. I'm a friend of his grand-daughter, who was very close to him. She saw him as the closest thing to a father figure she had in her life.

I'm asking if anybody knew Bill in his younger days, or if anybody would be able to contact anybody that served on board the HMS Jamaica who may have known him.

His grand-daughter, Rhiannon, wishes to learn more about his earlier life, and is looking into a memorial tattoo being designed. However, as of the moment, we have very little information.

If anybody has any information, articles or contacts they deem could be useful, please post them here, or drop me a PM.

Thank you in advance.
    ~ Alan "Emandion" Byrnes.
  3. I served aboard HMS Jamaica Royal Marine detachment,If we could come up with some dates I may be able to give some details,my recolections of the 'Fighting J' go back to 1949 and again as RM detachment in 1954/55 and Suez Landings.RIP 'Bill'.Aye jr
  4. That's brilliant! :D We'll see what we can dig up. Keep an eye on this thread, I'll edit/reply here if I get any more specific info.

Thanks again! If you're still in contact with anyone else that served upon the 44, could you point 'em this way please, if possible?

Edit: Well we've found out his birthday, March 29th '30 (Also added it to the first post) but we're still looking for any specific serving dates. Watch this post.