RIP Tom Clancy

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Pot_Mess, Oct 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Several good reads by him R.I.P.

2. The US defence industry is going to have to find a new advertiser :)

3. RIP to a great author, kept me interested in reading for many a year!

I was lucky enough to have met him when the good ship Euryalus was in Washington. He spun a good dit. He liked CSB too!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. Red Storm Rising was the best of the lot IMO.

RIP to the man.

5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RIP indeed.

Out of interest... Which RNR unit was he with?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Concur with Waspie on the CSB, met TC in Baltimore.

Nice bloke, RIP.

7. In "Hunter Killer" it is mentioned that Tom Clancy met with a couple of Brit SSN COs and was discussing a scenario where a French Boat sank a Russian ship, the Brits said that it was preposterous wouldn't happen like that and if the French got the glory the book would flop in the UK. In 1986 Red Storm Rising was a huge hit, a Norwegian Boat did the sinking and two characters James Little and Doug Perrin are very similar in name and character to Doug Littlejohns and James Perowne.

A highly respected bloke who will be sadly missed both through his writing and to some fortunate people who were lucky enough to meet him . RIP.

8. He told us he found it tricky making up realistic sounding names for his novels and asked if it was OK to use ours, although the fictional characters would not necessarily reflect our real roles and he might tweak the names a bit.
    He left our mess with a list of names, (including mine), but I've never seen myself appear in any of his work.

9. His books were interesting enough to make a dyslexic have interest to read rip, gave me something to do when on watch

10. Yeah, I'll second that. Loved his stuff when I was young although as I grew older I became a lot more cynical about it, his views on the government, military etc were all a little too rosy. I think he essentially lost my interest after 'Sum of All Fears' because he was out of good enemies, once you start picking on Japanese and environmentalists it all gets a bit shakey

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I am not intentionally going to piss on the grave of a famous dead author, and my thoughts go out to his family on their loss, but I met him once during an official visit to a certain place in Gibraltar that I was working in at the time and found him quite unpleasant.

Once the formal bullshit and pleasantries were out of the way people started to relax, including TC. While I was never really bothered by the sycophantic dialogue among the UK and US individuals present at the time, I found his arrogant and ignorant attitude towards some of the RN's achievements - particularly in relation to covert ASW operations - very disrespectful, especially as some of the people I worked with had been involved in those operations.

Just because he wrote some books about the military and intelligence agencies, his knowledge was based on sanitised versions of events (for obvious reasons), yet he clearly believed his own hype and claimed to be an expert in all matters sub-surface. I quickly developed a dislike of his personality, but I admit I have read plenty of his books (what else is there to do in the Air Weapons Mag during Action Stations? "Rainbow Six" makes a hoofing pillow!)

12. What were you doing in an Air Weapons Mag after 1998/1999 ?
    I (probably wrongly) assumed you were a Reggie by then. :dontknow:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope. Soon after.

14. OK

It was shite in there wearing full NBCD suits and respirators though wasn't it?