RIP to Side Show Bob

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Waspie, Oct 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RIP to Marco Simoncelli.

Died racing in this mornings Sepang motor cycle race.

Not the most well liked rider in the pit lane but you couldn't take away his wanting to win. A future great racer lost doing what he loved.

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Nasty coming together. I can't work out how his lid came off, unless it wasn't properly fastened.
  3. Having watched the vid on Youtube it looks like Colin Edward's bike squashed Simoncelli's head! That may explain the helmet being removed in such a traumatic fashion. He did suffer massive head and neck injuries.
  4. Bloody shame; it reminds me of what happened to Florian Camathias and Max Scheidigger at the Manx back in 1964 (or thereabouts given my memory)!
    Once you've either stepped off or been knocked off, anything can happen; I remember being sideswiped by Ray Flack in the Mallory round of the 500 Clubman's championship in '65 exiting the Esses, and wound up having a big moment in the infield heading towards Shaw's corner.
    Luckily, both the bike and I stopped short of the top end of the track and a possible 90 degree incursion, but it was a close call nonetheless.