RIP Desmond 'Snowy' Clingam

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by superpom, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is with great sadness that I have been informed by an 'Undaunted' shipmate that Desmond 'Snowy' Clingham crossed the bar in the early hours of Saturday 29 th June 2013.

Snowy served in HMS Undaunted as a PO/TAS from 1971-1974 and was a well respected and very well liked shipmate. 'Snowy' got the ultimate in 'Green rubs' , spending the last 30 odd years of his life in a wheel chair after a an accident involving a seaboat when he was serving as the 'Buffer' in HMS Bristol. Snowy also served in the Falklands war.

His strength of character whilst dealing with his disability is an example to us all. Looking back to the good times in the mob, I picture him now sitting in the P.O.'s mess, 'Undaunted' along side the wall in 'Pompey' over a weekend, the RA's having 'scuttled' off - (a Snowy'ism) for 'weekenders', pint of Courage sparkling in hand, the order of business being which pubs we would visit on our forthcoming run ashore that evening, 'big eats' afterwards were we capable!

Your out of it now shipper, struggle is over, smooth sailing and a following sea...if anyone deserves it, you most certainly do.

Goodbye shipper, never, ever forgotten. RIP oppo.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thats a very nice and poignant post for a 'passed' oppo. RIP:angel11:
  3. Condolences on the loss of your oppo, superpom - RIP 'Snowy'
  4. Snowy looked after me when he was the Buffer and I was a green as grass PO sailor. RIP Snowy, a great guy who did not deserve his hard time later in life.... A small dit which made me smile at the time and still does. When Snowy had his accident he ended up lying across the remains of the RIB he landed on and the cat along side. The doc got to him and gave him some morphine, when the doc tried to write a large 'M' on Snowy's forehead it wouldn't show up because of the colour of his skin, even in great pain Snowy managed to shout up to the loafing RPs on the upper deck "any of you Rose Petals got a chinagraph"?..
    A great man - RIP friend..
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Great dit GeorgieK...Snowy in in nutshell!
  6. I think all who were serving at the time will know about Snowy's tragic accident, my sincere condolences to family and friends.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The ASW Association has reported that Snowy's funeral will take place at 1330 on Wed 10 Jul 13 at Portchester Crematorium.

RIP, Buffs... :salut:
  8. Snowy.

Snowy was there for me as a pain in the backside junior seaman on the first Commission of the Juno, without him and Knocker White what would have happened to us newcomers? I also met him years later when as a ships chandler I went onboard the Bristol, in of course Bristol. I shall do my best to be there next week, he was a great role model.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. Rest In Peace Snowy
  10. RIP Snowy. We met a few times in Vernon, but my wife and I often met him in Fareham. Always got on with life and gave my missus some good advice when she became wheelchair bound, "Don't let the bastards grind you down!"