Rib coxwain

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by rugrat, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i'm in the process of joining the rnr sea(res) branch (just passed pjft :D ) and i was wondering if its possible to qualify as a rib coxwain after finishing at raleigh?
    I understand there probably isnt any need for coxwains in the rnr but seeing as i have my rya advanced powerboat qualification i thought it might make sense! :roll:
    cheers

2. Firstly you have to get your Splash Target Coxons Ticket to qaulify,then an RYA Day Skippers ticket,THEN you can apply.

3. AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why should Britain Tremble.......

Yes I agree andym, Splash Target Cox.

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think the dilution of standards is appalling. In my day, you needed the the Oropesa Jockey Ticket as well as the Splash Target Coxn - probably changed when they took the sweepers off the RNR.

In coming back to the original question... does the RYA Day Skipper qualification include the necessary iPod element required for RN RIBs of today?

edited at least once for mong spooling

5. Yes but you MUST have the Coastal AND Non Coastal Endorsements,and it will help if you obtain the Decca Navigation Basic Course as well,it helps you navigate,so i am told.

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Decca? Don't they make gramophones? You know them funny modern things that play black discs at 78rpm and that give off a nice warm glow.

7. current policy is that the Sea(res) branch require the training to allow them to conduct Force Protection on RFA/HMS. As training takes time and uses up scarce resources, only the essential training is given. However, once qualified in all repects to deploy, I am looking at opening up such courses as Coxn etc. But this will not be done overnight - I've only been head of the branch since May!
    Interestingly, and without going into specifics on this site, local training in such areas may well be provided once you are deployed to our customer. If you don't know who the customer is, speak to your oppos, as you should expect to spend 6 months with them within 2 years of joining the branch.
    If you require any further info, you are welcome to PM me.
    Yours Aye
    SO2Seaman

8. I loved being a boat coxswain. The course was great but I only did the course as I was required to drive the RIBS on fish patrol.

The course is good fun :D

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Top tip- tab on constantly in the boat, get caught by the "enemy", make a killing from it. Who wouldn't want to be a RIB coxswain?

10. You will find it very hard to get on this course now, as RNR are not required to drive boats. I did it a few years ago when it was still on the matrix but was knocked back for the jetpack adqual as the goalposts had shifted by then. Best of luck.

P,S, if you manage it start a thread here to allow others to follow.

11. Jetpacks were good fun! but I enjoyed and preferred the Avon Searider Mark 2 as my weapon of choice.

12. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Never could get the hang of 'Kitchener' gear.

13. Nor me Granny :D

14. Not many 52ft or 62ft (whatever it was!) RIBs around with Kitchener gear! But what a wheeze it would be to drive one!

15. unfortunatly im not quite gullible enough yet to qualify for my splash target coxswains ticket... :wink:

16. You obviously got you Ships Muff Divers Ticket as well then i take it?

17. Hello mate. Don't expect too much joy here, the RNR already have a job description for you laid out and it doesn't include boat cox'n. I've been down this road myself as a RYA Power Inst and to be honest this qual doesn't interest the RN.
    But as SO2 stated, at some time in the future things may well change such as specific requirements your subsequent postings require.

18. well it was worth a try! :wink:

19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Do you realise that the word "gullible" doesn't appear in any of the Oxford English Dictionaries?

20. Like they say "the old ones are the best ones!"