Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BuckyOHare, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Royal Fleet Auxiliary Interview Board.

Anyone on here been on one recently? Is it exactly the same board as the AIB? How fit do I need to be. And why can't the RFA carers webpage give out more info! Had a hell of a job getting payscales info let alone anything else. Any info would be gratefully recieved
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Why not ring the RFA Helpline: 02392 725371

By the way SPB- good link- never knew the RFA had an unofficial forum- cheers!

Good luck.
  4. Having spent 5 years in RFA Personnel, I can well believe such a Webpage!

That said; wouldn't have missed it for the World and I learned a lot about people.
  5. Yup, I have, but it don't seem to be the most active forum in the whole world, just thought I'd try here in case!
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

N_S: No probs... :thumright:

What's the betting that Norman is a member of that site too? He was probably attracted by the name of the site..! :wink:
  7. I should think chicogiz is over there too, sharing his lifetime of personal experience with the "lads"
  8. Hi Bucky,

Did you find out about RFAIB fitness and pay?

A lady there says she's posting me the pay scales, so you can ask me about it on my junk e-mail: rinky dot stingpiece at g mail dot com
  9. The RFAIB is pretty much the same as AIB. differences are:

1. Your board will be made up entirely of RFA candidates.
    2. One of the board members (in our case the middle-ranking one... I'm not sure whether that's always the case) is replaced by an RFA officer. The other two members are still RN officers.
    3. The service knowledge test you're given is more biased towards the RFA... although you'll still need a general knowledge about the navy and to be able to ID their ship types.
    4. You won't get told your results on the day... you'll find out by post within a couple of weeks.

Other than that it's identical... fitness requirements, aptitude tests, leadership tasks are all the same. Hope that's helpful.
  10. i look forward to the day i get a chance of being posted on an RFA ship, apparently its considered luxurious inside, is this true?
  11. The RFA told me that, and I quote:
    "There are no major fitness requirements (this is not the same as the Armed Forces), there is a bleep test in the gym to test stamina, but it is not a pass/fail issue."

"If you fail AIB, it can be re-attempted after a year."

What baffles me is the dearth of info on the RFA and it's recruitment in comparison to the RN. It feels like you practically have to beat it out of them!
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm rather glad you brought that issue up.

From an AFCO perspective, it's embarrassing when a potential RFA rating or officer fronts-up at an AFCO requesting specific career advice about how to join the RFA. All we can do is give them leaflets & tell them to ring the number on the leaflet- we have absolutely no formal training with regard the recruiting process for RFAs.

In addition: All RFA personnel NOW sit the RN/RM Officer/Rating/Other Rank recruiting test at their local AFCO. However, unlike their regular service counterparts, although we know the scores required to pass for the relevant trades, we are not permitted to tell RFA applicants whether they have passed or failed. Their regular service counterparts get advised as soon as the test papers are marked.
  13. hey all.

i had heard of the RFA whilst appling to the RN, but didnt consider looking at what they had to offer. just checked out there profile on the RN web site. i couldnt believe it. they get the own cabin, use of a gym and possibly a swimming pool, as well as a sauna. ping pong full bar with no rations. and 4 month deployments. starting rate of 15k a year.

maybe i ve made the wrong chose................. nah, wanna be in the RN and get hold of some big guns and rule the high seas. thats for me.

14. I think the comforts of the RFA are only compensation for not having the kudos of being in the real RN.

I'm happy enough with it.

I'm not happy with the dearth of info on the RFA.
    I've managed to get the equivalent amount of info available online about the RN, but it's taken over a dozen e-mails.

They might be pi55ed off with me for asking so many questions; but if they can't be ar5ed to present a full set of info online, then they've only themselves to blame.