Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Chicogiz, Oct 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Should they have a RFA form on here? I mite be wrong
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, whilst all RFA personnel now sit the RN Recruiting Test & AFCO's distribute RFA careers literature, I'm not sure there has been any calls for an RFA forum until now.
  3. So what do you think? should there be?
  4. They get their own cabin at sea I assume they can manage without their own forum too!
  5. I'm not really sure. Just a minute and I'll ask my mom.
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

It may be worth posting a poll in your original post to see just how many RFA members are on here, not many I reckon.
  7. Chicogiz
    My mom said no. But I am allowed to join the gay navy because she told me that they must be happier than the Royal Navy
  8. Your all Fu*king Rude Cu*ts no wonder people leave. jusk make it one more me bi
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

10. Where do you get idots like you is it because my spellings etc? i mite be crap at it but i bet theres stuff im good at and your not probaly the same for u. so i dont get people on here
  11. sgtpepperband

Chico time: I was actually being helpful; trying to point you in the direction of alternative - genuine - fora that may be more specific to your needs... :roll:
  12. So Chico your fine command of the English language and your moms permission what else do you have to offer the RFA to become a deck officer?
  13. sgtpepperband

The ability to inspire...?! :? :wink:
  14. I joined the RFA six years ago after completing my 22. And what I've seen so far, they are generally far more professional in how they go about the job than the RN!!!!
    I know that will not sit comfortably with (ex)matelots (Remember I'm still a ex-matelot!), however that is my observation.
    As for tax dodgers - yes if you are out of the UK for 6 months, one can claim that year's tax back as is the case with any Merchant Seaman. Please bear in mind that these Merchant Seaman are also trained to the same RN FF/DC standard and qualified to fire Gambos and other close in weapon systems, not to mention conduct Helio ops etc.

(By the way, I also get the tax back paid on my RN pension!)
  15. Yes, they're that professional they were almost on strike in Port Stanley Harbour shortly after the ceasefire when they learned their 250% war bonus had stopped and they were back on normal wages.
  16. sgtpepperband

Well done Mad Doc; you've provided a worthwhile and valuable service to the nation. I am knocking what you or your colleagues do, but what grips most matelots - as I'm sure you will empathise - is that Jack very often does exactly the same; deployments in excess of 6 months, fight fires, fire guns, fly helos, etc... but where our tax perks?

What do we take from our UK communities by paying tax while we're away? Do we use the social security system? Do we use any council, medical, police or other emergency services? No. I am currently 4 months into a 12-month overseas post in the Indian Ocean; if I'm lucky I'll get a 2-week stand-off to the UK in that time, which Pusser will contribute to (as far as my destination airport, not my front door). But throughout my time I continue to pay the full rate of income tax and VAT on goods bought from the UK via internet. Many others in similar posts face the same tax-paying obligation - is that right? :evil:
  17. In 2000 the RFA had an industrial dispute. GREY ROVER on FI station, unable to berth alongside lest the NUS lads signed off and shipped home. Almost a permament fixture on the SPM; pain in the bum! especially for the Harbour Craft that had to run liberty boats in silent hours. Thanks INDOM and OIL M (until off charter).

I dare say that the lads would probably have set aside their dispute had there been any trouble to be attended to; but who knows?
  18. In regards to the last line of your posting - From what I have seen/experience - if any sort of "punch-up" would have developed, then the RFA would rallied around the RN to support them.
    When I was a regular matelot - I agree it did grit my teeth to spend 6+ months away and still pay tax on services not used in the UK ( I spent 2 years on a Survey "H" boat on a 9 month deployments), however remember, the RFA are still uniformed "Civil Servants" and until the Government change the Tax Laws, the Military will ways be the poor seconds in regard to Tax Re-bates (Though they have gone some way in giving the lads in Iraq & Afghanistan ?£2K in "War Bonus" - only because the US Forces get "Combat Pay" and do not pay taxes while in a combat zone).

19. While serving in JSSU(Cyprus), pre joining the EU, I found it worthwhile to actually phone the company rather than ordering over the internet. Once I mentioned I was serving outside the EU the vast majority of them would drop the VAT off the total cost. Maybe worth a try?