RFA swimming tests???

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Rob28, Mar 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, Ive had some mixed info on 'swimming tests' and wondered if anyone on here can help clear this up?
    I have seen on here and in other places online, that there is no swimming or compulsory PT required at initial training for the RFA, but speaking to a mate of mine the other day who is an RFA officer, he was convinced there is a pretty grueling swimming test (tread water in clothes / boots, diving off high platform, multiple lengths in clothes ect..) during initial training... Does anyone here have experience of this? Just interested to know what to expect when I start in August. Thanks for any info.

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is no swimming test or compulsory PT for RFA ratings in training. You will, however, jump in/enter a lake for your sea survival course.

If you wish, you may use the gym facilities and pool.

3. Is the sea survival course in survival suit and life jacket? Involving righting and climbing into life raft? Was looking forward too jumping off the highboard :'( oh well. Must remember I have to pass sift yet, too excited already!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. exJenny

There is a board to jump off.

5. From high? Or more like walking the plank? :p

6. Stcw 95

As RFA you will need to complete the survival test as required under STCW 95 (Merchant Navy regulations) - something the RN do not need to complete. Quick google of MCA Personal Survival Techniques will show you the required standard.

or call one of the nautical colleges (Glasgow, Southampton etc).... RFA questions might be better answered on OfficerCadet.com
    as these will address the civilian qualifications you require.

MCA Personal Survival Techniques | City of Glasgow College

Hope this helps!

7. exJenny

• Like Like x 1
  8. "There is no swimming test or compulsory PT for RFA ratings in training. You will, however, jump in/enter a lake for your sea survival course.

If you wish, you may use the gym facilities and pool." - Thanks for the info!

Quite looking forward to doing this, do you know if we get to do the 'sinking helicopter' simulator as part of the sea survival training? Am guessing we also do some time in the 'Havoc' simulator as well?

9. exJenny

there is no dunker requirement but you will go in the DRIU at Excellent.

10. Just seen that PDF link, thanks for digging that out. Cant wait to get started on this now.

11. If you go to BRNC Dartmouth for the INT (O) RFA course you will take the Royal Navy swim test and the Royal Navy fitness test. The swim test is as described by the RFA officer you spoke with. As has been mentioned, there is no requirement to pass them as an RFA officer but it does affect your grade if you don't.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No.

Basic Sea Survival Course (BSSC) incorporates PST to STCW Standards as does Intermediate Sea Survival. So the RN have to complete PST even if there is no statutory requirement.

The officer cadet website you mentioned may help but on Navy-Net / Rum Ration, in 209 threads on the RFA since the sub forum was started nearly 5 years ago, it has been shown to have some current knowledge and experience and not only from eager cadets currently going through the process. There are a trio of serving RFA officers who post regularly and a few officers and ratings both RN and RFA with RFA experience derived from serving together at sea in warships and RFAs, on course, on staff, personal friendships, family connections.

There is also much bollocks posted an it's not confined to the RFA Forum.

13. Seadog

exJenny wrote

I last did ISSC in 2011 and the board was nowhere near 10 metres above the surface of the water. I doubt it was even 4.

14. exJenny

I think it was 3m when I did BSSC there. Just raising hopes for Alos.

15. Seadog

All this talk of weapons training and beasting in the pool makes me think that some mistake RFA for SEAL.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There's a difference? :eek:mg:

17. Thanks eJ, I don't really like heights to be honest, just like scaring myself silly!! All sounds like fun though.

18. Grey skin, hairy face and covered in blubber? Yep, RFA!

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  19. exJenny

I wax now.

• Like Like x 2