RFA Swimming tests??

Discussion in 'RFA' started by questuk12, Dec 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey All, What are the swimming requirements to join the RFA? I have received a lot of mixed information in regards to this. On one hand I have heard it is grueling and punishing. You have to jump in a pool from high above wearing clothes. On the other hand. I have heard the RFA don't have any swimming tests at all. So, I am just hoping to get some clarification. Thanks

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is no swimming test.

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

...except the Personal Sea Survival module of BSSC / ISSC when you jump into cold water, from a high board, wearing clothes.

Not the Naval Swimming Test but you'll need to be able to propel yourself - YOURSELF- through the water to pass. Sounds like a swimming test but that's just me.

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh yeah, forgot about that bit.

You do jump into a freezing cold jellyfish infested "lake", whilst wearing a life jacket, and then "propel" yourself on your back to a life raft. You get 2 goes at it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  5. And its really, really really easy.

6. Seadog

If you swallow any of the lake, you may want to stay within ten steps of a toilet for the following few days. Evian it ain't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I'd say it was closer to Dasani.

(Holy hell that was 2004. I'm getting old)

8. This is handy for me to know.....swimming isn't something I'm good at.

9. You'll do a swim test at BRNC also if you're coming in as an officer. It's not to difficult at all.

It's indoors (much warmer than bssc) but you'll need a wee bit of upper body strength to haul yourself out of the pool in order to pass. Not 100% sure on the drop between the poolside & the water but it is a fair bit steeper than a standard, olympic jobby.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Seadog

Flipper would struggle wearing clothes, survival suit and life jacket having jumped from the high board. Being a good swimmer doesn't help. It's fecking horrible.

Not as horrible as doing the same thing in the dark, in really cold water, with your ship ablaze and sinking behind you, your injured shipmates screaming for help....and you've left your iPod behind and your fags are wet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Have you done the test at BRNC EightSixteen?
    Are you supposed to use a certain stroke for the swim, or is it up to you? I was just thinking that backstroke would be a bit of a cheat, and I hate front crawl!
    Just want to know what to expect.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

12. At BRNC it's any stroke for the swim test. most folk in my class did either breast stroke or front crawl. The only difficult bit seemed to be pulling yourself out the water at the end. 4minutes to swim 55 meters is ages, just try to relax as much as possible during the tread water phase so you don't tire yourself out.

the height of the pool side is 18 inches.

13. Thanks for the answer! Breast stroke it is then. Are the overalls much of an impairment? I'm just aware that there's really no way to practice for swimming in clothes.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

14. If you're planning on doing breast or back stroke you'll not find any noticable impairment with the overalls. The vast majority of our division done it comfortably with 2/3 minutes to spare.

The treading water part can actually just be you floating on your back which might help you (if your worried about it) to conserve energy for getting back out of the pool.

If you can float & then do a leisurely length & back without touching the sides; then all you have to worry about is heaving yourself back out of the pool.