RFA Rank Insignia

Antijanner

Midshipman
For your awareness we do have 3 stripe commands, this is when our ships are at a low op tempo and not expected to go play with the navy :D all departments at this point are minimally manned and are at TSoC (Tailored Scheme of Compliment) Low. On balance when we go following the RN into more dangerous waters our manning scale is supposed to shift to TSoC High.

All our (3 Stripe) MEOs and Chief Mates hold the correct licences to act as Chief Engineer and Master of our ships respectively; what the Naval Service believes is that like on RN big ships, a little more experience is normally needed to Command vessels of that size and critical importance while on operation. Especially given that replenishment at sea is probably one of the most dangerous evolutions ships can do at sea (without opening fire on each other). Our more junior deck and marine engineers are qualified to do the same on limited tonnage, in the same way a Lt RN could be appointed captain of a patrol boat. However no one has provided the RFA with ships that small for a very long time*.

The question should not be about removing stripes from qualified officers, the RFA have earnt theirs as much as the RN. It should be do we have the right balance of skills / experience and numbers of people onboard to complete our missions. You seem to suggest that we dont, and that would be an interesting discussion to be had .. but probably best to start a new thread if we want to head down that rabbit hole!

*edited for spelling and as a friend has just mentioned that the new work boats require a licenced deck officer to be in charge of them.
Not all the MEOs hold Chiefs tickets.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Not all the MEOs hold Chiefs tickets.
True, there are MEOs who dont, but they should, as always there are exceptions to the rules. Current RFA rules say that its required for all 1/O(E) Band Bs and above .. but the rules will always be bent for the needs of the service.

Have you met any ChOffs who only have their class 2 licences? I have suspicion that PersOps is less likely to break the frameworks for those in line for Commanding Officer.

Antijanner

Midshipman
True, there are MEOs who dont, but they should, as always there are exceptions to the rules. Current RFA rules say that its required for all 1/O(E) Band Bs and above .. but the rules will always be bent for the needs of the service.

Have you met any ChOffs who only have their class 2 licences? I have suspicion that PersOps is less likely to break the frameworks for those in line for Commanding Officer.
Or are Masters tickets easier to come by the Chiefs ;-)

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
At least there doesn't seem to be a move in the same direction as in cruise ships, where half the captains now seem to masquerade as full admirals by wearing a thicker bottom stripe....
In some cruise lines, in the bigger ships, there is a 4 ring 'Staff Captain' - the sailing master in days of sail. The actual Captain ( Commanding Officer) is senior (obvs) and wears a BFO bottom stripe. Chief Engineer and Purser are 4 ring officers.

Consider too that the biggest cruise ships can have 2000 ship's company and 6000 passengers on board. That is a big command and may justify a big ring.....ooer.

Antijanner

Midshipman
In some cruise lines, in the bigger ships, there is a 4 ring 'Staff Captain' - the sailing master in days of sail. The actual Captain ( Commanding Officer) is senior (obvs) and wears a BFO bottom stripe. Chief Engineer and Purser are 4 ring officers.

Consider too that the biggest cruise ships can have 2000 ship's company and 6000 passengers on board. That is a big command and may justify a big ring.....ooer.
And then some companies also have a Commodore - what is considered the most senior captain in the company. This is still a sailing officer though. BP used to have one as well, also Commodore engineer. Again all floating.

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
I can think of two ex-submariner current RFA Captains and another who may have reached 1/O (X) by now. I do see the occasional dolphin on PCS...

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
If RFA officers do wish to "get in line with the wider 'one navy' focus" and wear RN style indications of rank, there would presumably be a need for a lot more saluting if a great deal of confusion is to be avoided!

Jack

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I did know a 2/O (Rodney I think he was called), acted as flyco on Fort George, always wore dolphins on his 3’s.
One wonders if he was anything to do with the very old joke about the two young officers sending postcards home following a trip to Rio. One ended "Tons of love - Rodney" whilst the other ended "Tons of rodding - lovely"! :eek:

Jack