RFA or RN

Skylarker

Midshipman
Why are the RFA "assistant" chefs paid higher (entry) than a regular chef in the RN?
I think my thought pattern is along the lines of why are civvys being paid more than dedicated, service personnel? And I mean this in a pure hearted way, I'm not poking at RFA or anything of the sort I'm just curious as to why they are paid more. :)

sky

Skylarker

Midshipman
So to explain further into this, I am currently having an issue getting hold of paperwork needed for AFCO so took the time to look further into careers within the Navy and RFA, I just noticed the RFA seem to have a sweeter deal but call me stupid, but I'd rather choose RN still. But I'm just curious why they seem to have a better deal

Sky

Ballistic

War Hero
My apologies I didn't realise I had, I thought I'd placed it under miscellaneous, obviously not
Well, actually you did place it in the 'miscellaneous' forum.
But that's just a subsection of the 'jokes' forum. 'Miscellaneous jokes'.
Take a look at the top of the page:
Home>Forums>Jokes>Miscellaneous.

I can't answer your question but if you put it in the 'Joining' area you might get a wider audience because some posters on here use filters to ignore some forums. For example, I've got the 'resettlement/afterlife' section on 'ignore'.

Just trying to help :)

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
You don’t join the RFA as an assistant you join as an apprentice - £15K a year for about 2 years. You then become an assistant chef. With the RN as soon as you finish basic training, which is much shorter than the RFA you go onto the higher rate. The RN chefs also receive sea pay, deployment bonus, free dental treatment, prescriptions, etc. Where the RFA is more attractive is with regards to time off. 3 months on ship 2 months at home on full pay.

At the moment in the RN AB & Leading Chefs are being offered £15K lump sum to commit to three years.

Skylarker

Midshipman
You don’t join the RFA as an assistant you join as an apprentice - £15K a year for about 2 years. You then become an assistant chef. With the RN as soon as you finish basic training, which is much shorter than the RFA you go onto the higher rate. The RN chefs also receive sea pay, deployment bonus, free dental treatment, prescriptions, etc. Where the RFA is more attractive is with regards to time off. 3 months on ship 2 months at home on full pay.

At the moment in the RN AB & Leading Chefs are being offered £15K lump sum to commit to three years.
thankyou for that, i didnt realise half the stuff the RN guys are getting :) explains a lot