RFA Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Iona Irving, Dec 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am slightly confused by the RFA medical requirements outline on the Royal Navy website. On some pages it says you just need an ENG1 but on others it says you also need to meet the RN medical requirements?
    I was recently made PMU for Naval service (a very upsetting experience after a four year bursary and four years of building up to my dream career) and of course am looking for other options. Does the fact that I was made PMU for the RN automatically bar me from the RFA? If it doesn't, how much more lenient is the RFA medical to the RN one?
  2. I was made PMU for the RN after several years of trying. I've recently had the ENG1 with a company doctor (requested by the RFA) and I passed with 2 year unrestricted.
    In my experience they are very different, the ENG1 is more lenient.
    Definitely worth a try!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You could call them and speak to Occupational Health nurse (Sharon Kitwood) she should be able to advise you :)
  4. SJC26 - Well that's good to hear :)
    Once you've passed the ENG1 do you then have to sit an RN medical as well...it's so unclear on the RN website :(

moodle - Who is this...is she RFA personnel?
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No you just have one ENG1 medical. The RFA may want it carried out by an RN doc though. The RFA has an occupational nurse to advise on medical queries.
  6. No, the only medical I have done is the Eng1 and I start in January. Hearing test, sight test, height, weight etc.
    I got confused aswell but it's only the eng1 they follow. He said it's more about climbing a lot of ladders, no pains etc than going into battle!
  7. Well that's promising news. Does anyone have the contact details for this Occupational Nurse? :)
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Try 02392 725243
  9. Great, thanks very much :)
  10. Yes, if you call they will put you through to her or one of her colleagues :)
  11. 02392 628640 This is their number. Just got it off one of my forms from Occupational Health Nurse signed by Sharon :D