RFA Medical - Asthma

Cruc

Hey there, I was going through previous threads but I couldn't find any details specific to what I have, especially anything that is likely to not be outdated and such.

I was looking into applying for the apprentice seamanship role in the near future, however I was unsure towards the requirements when it comes to asthma.

I have exercise-induced asthma. I am fine on a regular basis unless I am doing something like sprinting or long-distance running. Most other exercises I do not have any issues with.

I used to have more issues when I was a child, having only been hospitalised once when I was young, like around five or six, but as I've grown up I haven't had any big issues with it. I haven't had any asthma attacks as far as I know that have been so severe I haven't been able to calm them down without the use of an inhaler when one hasn't been on-hand, except for the previous case mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks all for reading.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hey there, I was going through previous threads but I couldn't find any details specific to what I have, especially anything that is likely to not be outdated and such.

I was looking into applying for the apprentice seamanship role in the near future, however I was unsure towards the requirements when it comes to asthma.

I have exercise-induced asthma. I am fine on a regular basis unless I am doing something like sprinting or long-distance running. Most other exercises I do not have any issues with.

I used to have more issues when I was a child, having only been hospitalised once when I was young, like around five or six, but as I've grown up I haven't had any big issues with it. I haven't had any asthma attacks as far as I know that have been so severe I haven't been able to calm them down without the use of an inhaler when one hasn't been on-hand, except for the previous case mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks all for reading.
Have a look here: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/communit...s-information-document-eyesight-chart.166669/

Bear in mind, that there's no one on here that is qualified to give medical advice. There's only one way to know for sure. Apply.

Cruc

Cruc

I believe RFA med standards are vastly different to RN, as Daps says, you'll need to contact the RFA.
Yeah, I spent a while wanting to join the RN but was looking at the med standards and noticed it'd be a pain with dealing with going through medical and such with asthma details and such, with it being likely I wouldn't get in. Cheers, probably going to be contacting them and seeing directly if I can't find anything.

Cruc

I posted you a link to some information regarding ENG1. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I meant if I can't figure it out from it. It seems to imply if you're a seafarer less than 20, if you don't have to use your inhaler more than 2 times a month you should be alright. It doesn't actually mention about exercise-induced asthma except for above 20s, so I'm not fully sure on it all really.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
And you still won't until you contact them and ask!

the rule of thumb on medical issues is - if you have prescriptions on record you need to declare it, even if it was years back. It is always better to be up front and ask, than wait for it to be discovered.

Sumo

War Hero
Another rule of thumb is 3 years clear of medication but that's RN, as said above RFA may differ, hence ask and good luck.

Let us know how you get on, as it may help other asking similar question.

SmellyPongo5454

Midshipman
If you’ve got a pulse you’ll probably be okay.

They’re bringing in a cardiovascular test as a part of our ENG1 medical every 2 years but reading into it it’s basically a very easy bleep test involving a step for all of 2 minutes. If your heart rate is under 80% of your max after that you’ll pass.