RFA medals?

ZXC53

Midshipman
I was just wondering... Do RFA service personnel receive military medals similar to those of the Navy? For example, if a ship is operating in a War Zone area?
Also just another quick question, are all RFA personnel issued with berets?

Seadog

War Hero
There are some still serving in the RFA with gong collections that make Prince Philip jealous. Quite a few SAM holders still serving and have some active years left in them.

Depending on the context of the award, some RFA OBEs are Miltary Division, some Civil.

I was just reading about Chiu Yiu Nam last night in 'The Fourth Force.'

As I understand it, Operation Corporate was before RFA people were Sponsored Reservists. They could have at any time said, 'Stuff this, I quit.' Did I read/understand that correctly?

Seadog

War Hero
As I understand it, Operation Corporate was before RFA people were Sponsored Reservists. They could have at any time said, 'Stuff this, I quit.' Did I read/understand that correctly?
They could say it but those few if any who did, would find getting home problematic.

They could say it but those few if any who did, would find getting home problematic.
Yep! It's not mentioned in the book if any did - so I assume not. I just find it even more remarkable that they had that option, however problematic, yet got on with the job.

Seadog

War Hero
Why wouldn't they? Some civilians have been and will be further up threat than some servicemen ever will be.

The then Commodore of the RFA was in Command at sea. He'd been at sea during WWII.

An old and very senior Bootneck told my class that the main reason blokes don't wimp out of combat is because they don't want their mates to think they're a ******.

Others have old fashioned ideas of duty, honour and double pay during hostilities.

Megalopteron

Lantern Swinger
It's a few years since I looked up the exact legislation/regulations by which the RFA came under at least elements of the Naval Discipline Act when on "operations". During the introduction of Sponsored Reserve status one of the arguments made by RFA HQ was that under the previous arrangements any time an RFA left UK territorial waters in company with a warship the crew became subject to the NDA, and this was effectively conscription.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
With regards to berets, new entrants (I think the last 12/18 months) are issued with baseball caps with the RFA insignia on. So at present there's a mix of both in the service.
The idea of this is the RN officer types aren't expecting you to chop them one off when marching around naval establishments wearing the PCS. Although this isn't always the case as a recent 3 ringer female officer showed in Raleigh. She tore a strip of an App Dk who had the audacity to just say morning ma'am and not salute! Poor lad had never been shown how to and why should he have been!!!!

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Palm facing the officer or tilted hand, shortest way up longest way down or vice versa, left or right hand, fingertips to side of the head or over the eyes, three fingered dib dib dib???????
My point is he hadn't been shown (19yrs old) because we shouldn't have the need to do it. Do other civil servants chop off an officer? And we don't even salute our own.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Palm facing the officer or tilted hand, shortest way up longest way down or vice versa, left or right hand, fingertips to side of the head or over the eyes, three fingered dib dib dib???????
My point is he hadn't been shown (19yrs old) because we shouldn't have the need to do it. Do other civil servants chop off an officer? And we don't even salute our own.
I would suggest the next time it happens file a formal complaint iaw service procedures - bullying and harrasment (wjich is what this is) complaints focus the mind. RFA do not need to salute whatever the ego thinks.

I always thought it was 'bad form' for civilians to salute anyway?

A bit... walt-ish.

Seadog

War Hero
I always thought it was 'bad form' for civilians to salute anyway?

A bit... walt-ish.
Is being killed in action walt-ish? If so 11 RFA Walts died in the Falklands War.

The Police and Fire Services salute. Lord Lieutenants salute. FCO Commissioners and Governors in uniform salute.

There was a time when the AA saluted and the Merchant Navy did too, bus drivers, park keepers, grave diggers, postmen, airline pilots, gentlemen.
When the Queen names a passenger ship, there is saluting.

Bollockings for not saluting when there is no requirement is bad form. However, imagine the indignation if a junior RFA type did salute an RN Officer and that Officer did not return the salute because there is no requirement.

Saluting is a mark of courtesy and mutual respect, not foreplay, not walting.

I would suggest the next time it happens file a formal complaint iaw service procedures - bullying and harrasment (wjich is what this is) complaints focus the mind. RFA do not need to salute whatever the ego thinks.
Formal complaint/bullying & harrasment ??

Tush, you are getting into Snowflake territory here, Jim lad.

Quite OTT for an understandable error by a member of staff at a training establishment.

( Reflect: App Dk's tale comes over as a good dit, with a smidgeon of untruthfulness)

Is being killed in action walt-ish? If so 11 RFA Walts died in the Falklands War.
Never meant to imply anything about the RFA. Just merely that I was under the apprehension - falsely apparently - that service people might have a dim view of civilians saluting.

Thanks for the correction.