Rfa info

Discussion in 'RFA' started by sir, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sir

I'm new to this and i know if I'd have read through all the threads regarding RFA i would probably find the answers to my questions. So apologies.

I'm looking at joining the RFA as a deck rating. I spent a year with the RNR as an 'AB2', however left as it wasn't for me (that's not a jab at the RNR, they're great however at the time my civvi job wasn't very supportive ).

I am wondering how long the entry/joining process takes for the RFA?
    After the 8 weeks initial training, what training aspects follow?

I am also in the process of joining the TA, will this be a problem when joining the RFA?

Any answers or advice will be much appreciated.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try using the search button, then come back with any questions you have that haven't been answered.
  3. sir

I've done a search. Had mixed thread answers regarding the how long it takes to join and no threads for "I am also in the process of joining the TA, will this be a problem when joining the RFA?".

So any answers and/or advice for how long it takes to get in the RFA and any answers and/or advice about my previous TA question would be great.

4. Hi I can't help with regards to recruitment timescales however I can say with certainty that you would NOT be allowed to remain a member of the T.A if you joined the RFA. All new RFA recruits are appointed at sponsored RNR personnel and are therefore not allowed to join any other reserve forces. Hope this helps.

5. .

I find the above comment strange. I was a member of the RNR and SR at the same time and this problem was not highlighted to me!
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It makes sense to me not to be allowed to be a member of the TA and the RFA. Bit difficult to do training weekends from abu dabu or wherever.