Rfa headdress !!!!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by togoodtoknow, Feb 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello first post on here so please be gentle on me :eek: i was just wondering why the rfa does not wear berets <hope its the right spelling lol i understand back in the day the rfa didnt have much standards to their shaving hair cut policy but now we practically run along the lines off navy rules .so why do they still have to wear the baseball caps ?? to be fair they look like rifraf more now !!!

2. They definitely get caps and I believe berets, but yes they are a little more lax than the RN in wearing correct headgear. That said in my latter career I saw many RN sailors wearing baseball caps when at sea.

SM

3. Nope, headgear for ratings seems to be baseball caps; Officers still have a cap.

4. It is only very recently, last couple of years, that they have been issued with baseball caps when attending courses on naval bases. Didn't used to bother with headgear at all but it's a sop to the snotty base commanders who didn't like all these untidy chaps in 4s wandering about without any headgear and telling those who challenged their substandard appearance where to poke it. Now they wear caps as a telltale that they are to be left alone by RN staff: your jurisdiction does not apply.

(This works both ways and I was heartened to hear of an RN SR laying into a junior RFA officer with big ideas at Raleigh who pulled up a class marching in formation for failing to salute him).

A beret forms part of the RFA JRs No.1 dress but that is used/issued only for very special occasions, pretty much only Cenotaph details and I've heard of one or two saddos wearing it for their wedding. It's a single-breasted jacket, totally unlike RN JR No.1s.

RFA officer uniforms conform broadly to RN, as per BR81.

5. thank you very much for your replies they are much appreciated !! i still think the beret would suit best i know they are civillian but the way things are going they are pretty much military already !! As for the odd few that want to wear them for weddings or special occasions i wouldn't personally brand them saddos at all they obviously have pride for there job !! gone are the days of the RFA being just another civvi job changes are upon us !!!

6. As I remember, getting a non contract rating to wear anything even approaching a uniform is a battle of wits. Like the lad who thought it was a bit warm during the Southwards fuel stop in ASI. Cuts off his jeans at the knees. The Movers, of course, wouldn't let him back on the Timmy. Fortunately somebody negotiated the loan of a growbag for him. On arrival at MPA, the growbag was demanded back, so boykey had a very chilly trip to East Cove.

Can't those bloody awful rounders hats be banned?

7. [QUOTEi know they are civillian but the way things are going they are pretty much military already !![/QUOTE]

What a load of crap! Having worked with the RFA a lot, they are the most non-military group of people I have met. And this is certainly not changing at the sharp end.

8. Fixed.....

9. so let me get this right they dress like navy ! have to abide by there rules when on any training courses or ashore and are navy reservist but they still dont act military !!!! WOW !!!

10. That's it. They wear a similar uniform, badly (check number of buttons done up on shirt), they bimble around in headgear (sometimes), in between chain-smoking.

My favourite was during alleged leaving harbour routine in the US on an RFA. RN lot in tropicals, stood to on the bridge wing. RFA off-watch sunbathing (on bridge wing) in Speedos, Captain wearing 3s trousers, 4s shirt and USS John F Kennedy baseball cap.

Very military.

11. Why aren't 4s cut for a beer gut? :???:

12. Well why would we ?, we are Merchant Seaman after all (allbeit Sponsored Reservists). Don't forget most of us are ex Navy / Army and have been there done, it and got the t-shirt and put the military life behind us and chosen a more relaxed 2nd career in which we are proud to serve. Nethertheless, our standards are very professional and worrk ethics high.

Most of like the lifestyle of single cabins with en-suite facilities, fridge, TV, gyms whilst being at sea. Four months at sea, Three months of at a time and good pay you cant beat it.

Stressed or chilled out lifestyle ? which one is better for your health, well being and morale?

Work hard play hard

• Like Like x 1
  13. The RFA Service is manned by Discharge Book holding Merchant Seaman with a contract with the MODN - thus are Civil Servants. In fact we are members of the Civil Service Pension Scheme. It is FLEET that is tying to make the whole ethos of the RFA more military in it's day to day business. The majority of RFA personnel do not have any military experience, thus it shows when forced to play Matelot's! Especially when the "wantabies" start putting in their tuppance worth.

That situation is slowly changing with all new entries having to complete their "induction" and training at the three NE Training Estblishments (Raleigh/C'wood/Dartmouth) and the increasing number of ex-forces also joining.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Hermes 12 wrote

Mad Doc wrote

I get the impression that you are both serving RFA so I ask: which one is it?

Not forgetting all those new Motorpersons at HMS Sultan...oh you have.

15. Hermes 12 wrote

Don't forget most of us are ex Navy / Army and have been there done, it and got the t-shirt

Mad Doc wrote

The majority of RFA personnel do not have any military experience,

I get the impression that you are both serving RFA so I ask: which one is it?

..........all new entries having to complete their "induction" and training at the three NE Training Estblishments (Raleigh/C'wood/Dartmouth)

Not forgetting all those new Motorpersons at HMS Sultan...oh you have.

Mad Doc wrote

I made the above comment based on my observations when checking the Adquals etc of those joining the ship as part of my job and not just antidotial. Though I notice more ex-service personnel are joining the RFA in the past 2 years or so. I still stand by the comment that the majority (>50%) of current RFA personnel have a non-military background.

Having just come off a ship which as a "Enhanced Naval Party", and there was a problem in that the OIC and SR's thought we were military, however they quickly came to see
    what sort of hybrid creature we were! A workforce with a strong "Civilian professional work ethos" who are also trained in some military adquals, though we can not keep up to the same standard as the RN, as the RFA does not have the same training support at sea as the RN.. The Military are not the only "professionals" in this big bad world

16. There is some kind of irony about a representative of the RN Medical Branch decrying "standards". In general the sloppiest dressed individuals within a Wardroom are the Surg Lts, despite them earning more than the CO....

17. That's quite a generalisation, ATG. The sloppiest individuals I have ever had the misfortune to share a cabin with were from the God-like X branch. (only the intelligensia from Warfare would abbreviate their branch to X (and Executive doesn't begin with X either).

Oh, and a Cdr driving an FF/DD will earn more than a Surg Lt by the way. Unless their pay has gone up in the past 5 years (which I doubt).