RFA deck officer cadet pay whilst training

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Penguinhunter, Aug 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I was hoping someone could shed some light in this for me. I've got my aib in a couple if weeks and am feeling quite confident. I've found out how much you are paid at cadet level but could someone tell me a) how much are you paid at brnc and if you have to pay any accommodation or food costs, and b) how much do you actually end up with whilst at college and on sea phases. Ie do you have to pay your course fees and accommodation ect out of the 12 ish thousand pounds the website says. Any help would be very much appreciated as I've emailed the recruitment team with no replies as yet. Feel free to pm me if you want to keep anything confidential. Thanks in advance.

2. First year cadet's salary, i.e. £16,007 per annum for an A-Level entrant, inclusive of permanent allowances. I'm fairly sure that accommodation and food at BRNC is provided at no charge to you.

Course fees are paid by the RFA, you pay for your own accommodation and food at nautical college.

3. That's excellent thank you for the quick reply! Do you know how much the accommodation costs are at college? just trying to pre empt the take home pay. Thanks again.

4. College websites usually have some information on accommodation costs.

5. Accomodation at fleetwood nautical college is £495 a month and includes two meals a day. Currently cadets pay their own accomodation and food but this would change under the new proposals.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Whats the new proposal?

7. That Accomadation and food is paid...

8. I'm guessing that means less pay....

9. My interpretation is that RFA cadets will no longer get the RFA Allowance tacked onto their salary and that sum will instead be 'reallocated' to pay for food and accommodation at Fleetwood. Does that sound about right Bluebird79?

10. No spooner, they've upped cadet pay and removed the RFA allowance, so it's a win win situation for cadets. No, current cadets aren't being changed to the new terms and conditions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'm at Fleetwood now and it's up to £515 for accommodation.

While at BRNC you have a mess account - you will be charged for laundry (if you don't provide your own sheets), you will have a direct debit that goes to the mess fund for the provision of the bar and you will pay a monthly amount for hot food. I put drinks on my mess bill, also paid for the summer ball through it. If you have a mess dinner you will be charged for that (£26 I think it was). You can claim most of it back after the course is finished, plus your £5 per day expenses (not for weekends though as you have the choice to go home and obviously not for any booze - which depending on your group you may end up having a fair bit of).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bluebird, what are the new proposals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Do you know what the pay is whilst at brnc? Also with the new proposals what would a FD cadet end up with per month whilst at college? Whilst on deployment also what are you paid? Thanks in advance

14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When are you joining? Pay and allowances are under review at present.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

15. I have aib in 2 weeks and not sure 100 percent of joining date but looks like may brnc and start college in September. Do you think the changes will be done by then?

16. You start your employment when you start BRNC so you get the same salary as you do at college. Currently I am on £16k a year but as others have said, that may change by next year. My monthly amount is my salary minus tax, pension, which works out to just over £1100. Accommodation fees are £515 per month. I planned ahead and saved up the money to pay for my phase 1 accommodation before I got here, so I pretty much have my full salary to play with. If not, then you'll be on about £600 per month, which is very generous compared to the other students here working for private companies and getting sponsored.

17. I believe that the new proposals, should they be accepted, are due to kick in from January but only for new cadets not those currently in the system.

18. On the subject of pay what is the RFA bonus?

19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

This may come as a shock. You need to pass the AIB before you get a start date.

• Like Like x 1