Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RFA Deck Hand?

Could you also help with rates of pay? Ive looked all over the web and apart from starting rates cant find any info. How quickly can you advance from the starting pay of 16k (+rfa allowance)?

I can't remember if there is any sort of incremental pay scale for SG2s. There maybe used to be one based on age, and that might be what I am thinking of, in which case Age Discrimination Act will have changed things. There are no increments for qualified ratings, but could be different for trainees.

To reach SG1B - qualified with EDH certificate - requires 12 months sea time, plus a bit at college (well, it's HMS Raleigh now). Should take 2-3 years. SG1B is paid a little less than SG1A but I don't remember how much less. Another 12 months sea time gets you an AB's certificate and bumped up to SG1A.

I just had a look at some sample RT questions and it all seems very straightforward

Luminox, do you remember doing the RT test before you joined the RN?

I haven't served in either RN or MN, I'm just looking for something completely different, I love being at sea and the RFA sounds awesome!

It was a good few years ago now rumbox, its all pretty basic if your good at maths etc. Im not great at maths but got on ok for the branch i wanted to get into in the RN. Few problem solving questions if i remember rightly. I think if you go on the the RN section of this website there will be plenty on the RT Test. If you have been out of school a while may be worth doing some math, problem solving, english papers online. I was 22 when i done my RT test so a bit of practice was needed.
What are you donig for a job at present? Have you been to sea in the past at all?

New bit of info, RFA pay is now;
year one 16656 + 3072,
year two 17409 + 3072,
year three 20846 + 3072.
These are SG2 increments not promotion, pay for SG1a and SG1b is higher.

Just completed RT today. Found the maths to be the worst bit, not really hard but against the clock. Got to survive the sift now and hopefully get an interview.

Well done Gary!

I got my RT invitation letter today.. 15th August!

Are the questions of the same standard as in the practice booklet?