RFA Cooks vacancies

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Eps1, Apr 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know roughly how many cooks vacancies there?? Also what is the usual ratio of vacancies/interviews??

Thanks in advance
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Based on the training facilities available I would think a maximum of 8 places per course. Usual routine is 3 interviewees per place I believe.
  3. Waiting...... I'm sure someone won't be able to resist :)
  4. exJenny

They better fcuking pass!!! It's my scran they'll be cooking!
  5. There is no min/max on course size as the craft phase across RN, RM & RFA is the same. This has allowed for classes to be made up part RM/RN, RFA/RN managing to reduce the costings as a reduction in the requirement.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Doesn't apply mate, RFA not RN! :laughing3:
  7. exJenny

RFA LH's join in with the RN Killicks courses but this is for the RFA cook basic courses running alongside the RN phase 2s same as Seamen, Stewards and Comms.
  8. Have you actually eaten RFA food? I have to say, I wasn't impressed. Not one bit.
  9. So they never passed the course then dappers (had to say it so you weren't disappointed!)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If you can count pissing up whilst on watch passing the course, then no.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The scran on the fort strange and the fort vic was prob the best food I ever had in the RN.

However I mostly drinking red grenades at the time.

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(
  12. I have to say, in their defence, when I was on the Diligence the RFA chef's did do a brilliant salad
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

That will be because they have passed the course.
  14. Don't worry, I'll look after you if I get in. How do you like your eggs in the morning!
  15. I was on Dil also, in 1990. I was appalled by what I saw. I was a killick chef at the time, but as a source branch CA, I was there to support the MCMVs, and had no input to what was produced. The kitchen was run by a(pissed up) Chief cook RFA.

For example:
    Christmas dinner was all cooked on Christmas eve, the whole thing, and reheated on Christmas day. An awful lot of food was cooked the day before and reheated.
    They cooked Babies heads in the can and then tried to open the cans to get them out.

The lads though that the food was brilliant at first, because there was a fridge in the dining room that had bread and cold meat etc. that was available all through the night. Something to do with the fact that the RFA got more money (DMR) to feed their people than we did.
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I think the RFA cooks course teaches you how to make sandwiches.

I found the RFA cooks gave us embarked troops on the LSA's shite food and not much of it, one icecream scoop of mash potato with your piece of fish/meat....... Then they did a roaring trade selling sandwiches at inflated prices to famished troops who didn't get fed enough. The robbing bastards.
  17. How did that work? It sounds rather like on off account cottage industry to me.

I do recall that victualling in the LSLs could be sumptuous at times. As I remember it, the Purser had an allowance for embarked troop's who, in the event, didn't eat much in the North Sea/Channel on account of the often inclement WX. As a result, lots of stores were held back on account for the odd banquet for the ship's benefit. I remember that the HK Chinese were particularly brilliant at this.