RFA Chef Apprenticeship/HMS Raleigh

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Cap-H, Aug 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, I just got my contract through (yaaay) for joining the RFA (chef apprentice) in September, just wondering if anyone has info on what its like at Raleigh for the RFA and what the tests are like etc? Also what the living conditions are like if anyone has any experience of it? Just want to have some kind of idea of what to expect really.....Cheers!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don't know about the Chef bit as I was seaman apprentice.
    Accomadation was a 6 man mess. Each 6 man mess has its own kitchen (galley) with washer & dryer also toilets/showers (heads).
    We had to do 3 weeks functional skills Maths, English and IT.
    Very quite on a weekend there if you stay. There are a couple of bars at Raleigh you can use or you could go in to Plymouth.

3. Aww ok, just trying to get a little insight before I go. Probably will have to stay the 10 weeks as I'm pretty far from there. Thanks for the reply, good to know a little bit about what to expect.

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You might want to check how long your course is @Cap-H

5. It said 10 weeks at Raleigh and states the course is 18 months from commencement of the apprenticeship (providing I pass the tests/exams etc)

6. exJenny

For Cooks? 7 weeks training plus 3 weeks functional skills and thats you trained?

7. Ok cheers, Its my apprenticeship that is the 18 months to get the level 2 qualification, I assumed anyway, according to the contract....thanks :)

8. exJenny

The RFA cooks always did the same basic 26 week course as the RN chefs, without the catering element. I was under the impression that the basic trade training was the same as before but apprentices would then be doing 4 months on 1 month off to complete the apprenticeship...

9. It just said that the apprenticeship is between 1 and 2 years (18 months), and my training will initially be at Raleigh, hopefully I will find out more nearer to my start date

10. The Chef's course is VERY difficult. Some say............

Nope - just can't do it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nice to know lol..don't know until you try, at least it will be a challenge :D

12. Best you don't!

• Like Like x 1
  13. No guts, two tins S-B ;)

14. Not expecting it to be 'plain sailing' ;-) just wanted some info from ppl that's been there done that...I will find out soon enough I guess :)

15. Three?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Go on then, plus one for the bos'un

17. Guys,

thought this might be of interest.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Hey, just got joining instructions yesterday, and your right, its 26 weeks. Week 5-26 is the cooks course, cheers for the info.

19. exJenny

You're welcome.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk