RFA chef apprentice.

Hey, I am due to start my chef apprentice ship with the RFA in 3 weeks at HMS RALEIGH and I’m just looking for a little information. How in-depth are the English, maths and IT tests you have to do as I’m not good at maths ;)? What would you recommend me to take with me? On weekends is there much for a 17 year old to do?

Thanks in advance guys.

Rozz

Midshipman
Hey,
I have applied for the chef apprenticeship a few weeks ago. I can't answer your question as it's been many years since I was at raleigh, but was wondering how long it took you from application to training?
Good luck with your training!

Rozz

Midshipman
Oh and don't pack to much... You're in uniform most of the time and storage for kit is limited.

So I applied about jan 2018 interview June 2018 starting date would have been January but I got deferred due to kidney stones.

Thanks also.

Rozz

Midshipman
I got through the sift, my interview is next week I've been advised training will start Jan 2020. How are you finding it at Raleigh?

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hey, I am due to start my chef apprentice ship with the RFA in 3 weeks at HMS RALEIGH and I’m just looking for a little information. How in-depth are the English, maths and IT tests you have to do as I’m not good at maths ;)? What would you recommend me to take with me? On weekends is there much for a 17 year old to do?

Thanks in advance guys.
A good iron, and Millbay docks for a night out! Hope this helps.

Sea dogs

Midshipman
bobbybrown

First of all well done, A lot better than me as I did not pass my first interview and was not even considered for my second, you will need to know, all about baker's dozen. as I can recall in the interview you would need to do functional skills in maths and English you could get some second-hand books from Ebay if you wanted to get ahead , good luck

Rozz

Midshipman
I got my preliminary job offer come through last week. I did think about refreshing the Maths, English and ICT and definitely will pick up some text books now.

Last edited:

Sea dogs

Midshipman
well done, and once you start could you please let me know what kind of books you might be using thank you

Rozz

Midshipman
There were only 8 places available this round so don't be to disheartened. Have you worked in the catering industry before?

Rozz

Midshipman
Good luck for when you reapply, you could also ask for feedback on your application/interview. I think I read on here somewhere that someone else did and it helped when reapplying.