RFA career in the event of Scottish independence?!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by BaldRik, Jun 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning all, long time lurker, first time poster and all that..

A couple of things you'll need to know about me first of all are that I've recently received a provisional offer from the RFA to start an ME cadetship with the October '16 intake and I'm from Edinburgh.

With the political goings-on of the past couple of days (Brexit obviously), it's looking like our dear leader up here will be pushing for a second referendum on Scottish independence, given that 62% of Scotland voted to Remain.
    Now, I'm not looking for any opinions on #indyref2 (as the kids would put it) I'm just curious/mildly concerned about the possible implications for my future career, given that the MoD being a governmental organisation might not be able, or want to employ non-nationals.

So, what are your thoughts?

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

In the event of Scotex all Scots and their families will be interned until the wall is rebuilt and then, following having S branded on their foreheads, will be deported never to return.

Faslane, one of Scotlands biggest employers will be closed down and the whole nuclear setup will be moved to Gibraltar, thus pleasing most matelots and upsetting Spain big time. This is known as a win / win situation.

All of the extra benefits that Scottish people have received from the UK will cease. North Sea revenues are plummeting so financially things will be hard.

One last thing, it will take years for Scotland to get into the EU because they don't conform to many of the criteria required for entry, and having lost a net contributor the last the the EU needs is another state looking for hand outs.

I hope this has been of some assistance. ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Didn't quite answer my question...or at all... but fascinating nonetheless! Fingers crossed for the jaunt to Gib then, eh?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Was that 62% of Scotland or 62% of those that chose to vote?

5. What do you think?

6. The lower number not even 50% of the voting population, it will be a different turn out for Scotland to leave U.K. what will happen if the SNP lose again? You for one will be able to answer your own question?

7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I vote they go then we can get tax days!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm entirely sure what you're talking about. The voter turnout on Scotland was over 74% for the EU Ref and as I tried to make clear, although obviously unsuccessfully, I'm not interested in talking about the hypothetical pros and cons of Scottish independence, all I'm trying to get some views on is whether or not I would still have a job with the MoD if it did happen..

9. Don't know if someone tell you either way unless it's directly from the MoD their talking bullshit. Best bet if you want to sound of mind move to England or better yet move to your Celtic cousin's homeland of Wales.

10. Relocating is definitely an option I would consider, but it would depend entirely on how high the import taxes on Irn Bru and haggis were...

And no, nobody has told me anything about my original question. I'm sure it will become clear in due course, just thought I might get some reasoned speculation from folk in the know on here. Apparently not!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. exJenny

Whilst we are leaving the EU, it won't happen before you join the company and a Scottish referendum is going to take a few months to sort I imagine. It wasn't an issue last year for the large number of jocks in the outfit. Most of them wanted out back then.

12. No one can really answer a question on hypothetical situation that may or may not happened.

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's why I was looking for "reasoned speculation".. Unless you mean the first bit, I was referring to you asking if anyone had told me directly? Which they hadn't...

ExJenny, do you mean the jocks were wanting out of the RFA, or the UK? From the chat given by the SNP last year, I think any break from the UK would take a fair bit of time, especially including prep time for another referendum, so I know I'll have already have made a good start with the RFA at least, no matter what happens.

Personally, I would imagine they'd try to hang on to the staff they'd spent money training, no matter where they were from, especially engineers/technicians etc seeing as everyone seems to be having a bit of bother recruiting them at the moment.

14. exJenny

They wanted Scottish independence.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If Scotland splits from UK, (assuming the EU doesn't fall apart in the interim also), then there's the interesting issue of eligibility with regards Nationality in the RFA.

Irish nationals cannot join the RFA in Comms, Logs or Systems Engineering branches, so one would assume the same could potentially apply toward those with independent Scottish nationality.

Dual Nationals, holding a British passport however, would probably be OK.

• Like Like x 1
  16. So assuming it resulted in a similar situation to that currently of Irish nationals, I would be ok in marine engineering?!
    Also if those parameters didn't apply, if the rules had only changed after I had been qualified for a while, do you think exceptions might be made given that I/anyone else in the same boat (no pun intended) WAS a UK national when contracts were signed?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Difficult to say with any certainty to be completely honest. One would imagine current established contracts would be honoured for at least the duration of the trip.

18. exJenny

Considering the number of Scots in the company there's a lot of contracts that would need looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yes ExJ, I thought there might be and that's what made me think they might have to try and find a way to keep them on. Or try to find a way to replace them at relatively short notice?

What is the current amount of notice they have to give their employees at the moment? (as I said, I've only been given a provisional offer, don't know any details as such..)

20. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No it wasn't.

Stick with the nationality that suits you best. I'm not expecting a queue for passports with the declaration, "Wee Nippy demands that the bearer of this passport be given his bus fare, or you're pure getting it"

• Funny Funny x 1