RFA Cadet Marine Engineer

Discussion in 'RFA' started by benyboy98, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm almost 16 and wanted to leave school and join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary so they could train me to become a marine cadet engineer. Firstly what is life like as a young RFA cadet? Secondly what training is involved to become a marine engineer? And lastly should I join at 16 or go six form for 2 years and join when I'm 18?

If anyone can answer these thank you

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

2. Hello and welcome to the forum. Firstly, have you downloaded the PDF available on the RN careers page about the RFA Marine Engineering cadetship? If not then I suggest you go have a look at it as it will answer many of your questions about the training pathways available to you straight from GCSE (HND) route or A-level (foundation degree) route.

Life as a young RFA cadet seems fabulous. Large amounts of disposable income and a great training programme with a job at the end of it. What's not to like?

3. I have downloaded the pdf file I just wanted to know if anyone has done this course and what it involves

4. In that case you already know what your training pathway would be :) If I can answer any specific questions you have about the recruitment procedure or the RFA course at BRNC Dartmouth, then just let me know.

I can tell you that there are quite a few people starting out on the Marine Engineering cadetship at the moment, it seems they're recruiting well for this role.

5. Do sixth form, get A-Levels. You never know what the future holds, get as many good qualifications as you can now.

Makes a change. They have been struggling to recruit engineer cadets since starting to use the AIB.

6. 12 of the 19 cadets in Septembers intake were Marine Engineers.

7. How long is the course in Dartmouth bluebird79 and what's involved ?

8. The course is 8 weeks long and there are many things involved - there is currently a thread in the RFA section about the course commencing in February, have a quick read of that and then get involved in there to save me saying the same things twice. :)

9. What are the MAC ENG1, BRNC, AIB and Hnd

10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do you mean MCA?

MCA ENG1 is your medical ticket
    BRNC is Britannia Royal Naval College - Dartmouth
    AIB is Admiralty Interview Board
    HND is Higher National Diploma

Do you know what TLA is?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Na

12. Three letter acronym.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

13. Bennyboy, you have much to learn... It would seem from what you've said that you'd be on the HND programme, were you to be successful. I don't mean to sound patronising but have you actually read up on what is involved in the RFA cadetship?

14. Yh I have just wanted some information from someone experienced so thanks for all your info

15. It's really no problem. Spend the next few months reading up on the career that you've chosen and good luck for your GCSEs in the summer

16. Thanks

17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Three Letter Abbreviation. None of the abbreviations listed are acronyms. NATO and NASA are acronyms; abbreviations that form words.

The worst thing about being a pedant is that grief whores, vigilantes and Jeremy Kyle's guest want to throw bricks through my living room window.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Surely NATO and NASA aren't recognised "words", M.A.D. (mutually assured destruction) would be an acronym though ;)

19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Recognised to the point where they have followed the way of RADAR and now appear as Nato and Nasa. Fair enough with radar but WTF with the other two.

I do see the winky thingy Wrecker :thumleft:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Same would apply to Sonar (or Asdic to the elderly) SD :)