RFA BRNC

RFAHopeful

Midshipman
Hi everyone!

I just found out that I was successful at interview and should (providing everything goes well) be in the June intake. I was wondering if anyone has any information on what BRNC is currently like for RFA cadets, I've heard it's changed a fair bit recently so I'm not sure how much of the old information on here still stands. The recruiter I spoke to said that they've been having issues with people being underprepared so any information to help me prepare would be really helpful, thanks!

Random

Lantern Swinger
The recruiter I spoke to said that they've been having issues with people being under prepared so any information to help me prepare would be really helpful, thanks!
It would have been helpful if the recruiter was less cryptic!

paging @RFA at HMS Raleigh (he used to be RFA at BRNC) .... has there been any new feedback on lack of preparedness by the RFA?

I would be surprised if the feedback in these forums is far off the mark.

Pandaplodder

Badgeman
It would have been helpful if the recruiter was less cryptic!

paging @RFA at HMS Raleigh (he used to be RFA at BRNC) .... has there been any new feedback on lack of preparedness by the RFA?

I would be surprised if the feedback in these forums is far off the mark.
Might be level of fitness plus the military stuff they are now doing, a lot different to 1980s MN staffed RFA

RFAHopeful

Midshipman
Might be level of fitness plus the military stuff they are now doing, a lot different to 1980s MN staffed RFA
I thought this, and this is also part of what I want to know about current BRNC. I know that there was one point (I want to say around 2013?) where RFA did ABLE and took part in roughly all the same fitness stuff as RN, but I also know that in at least one of the intakes in 2020 they didn't do ABLE and had a significantly reduced fitness aspect.

I also know that that was the last intake before a few changes occurred, so I'd quite like to know if the RFA is doing ABLE again and what level of fitness is needed now. I plan on being as fit as I can either way because I was already trying to get fitter this year even before I heard back about my interview, but if it is likely that I'll have to do ABLE and roughly same fitness stuff as the RN I'll change my preparations a bit (my fiancé passed out of the RN version of BRNC last year so my plan in that case is to basically ask him to go through roughly the fitness sessions they did, as much as is possible at home, because although the regime I was doing anyway is good I know it focuses to different degrees on different muscle groups than the BRNC initial military fitness stuff does).

Random

Lantern Swinger
I thought this, and this is also part of what I want to know about current BRNC. I know that there was one point (I want to say around 2013?) where RFA did ABLE and took part in roughly all the same fitness stuff as RN, but I also know that in at least one of the intakes in 2020 they didn't do ABLE and had a significantly reduced fitness aspect.

Back in the day some RFA intakes just did the RN's militarization phase, but that was and is not the norm.

I also know that that was the last intake before a few changes occurred, so I'd quite like to know if the RFA is doing ABLE again and what level of fitness is needed now. I plan on being as fit as I can either way because I was already trying to get fitter this year even before I heard back about my interview, but if it is likely that I'll have to do ABLE and roughly same fitness stuff as the RN I'll change my preparations a bit (my fiancé passed out of the RN version of BRNC last year so my plan in that case is to basically ask him to go through roughly the fitness sessions they did, as much as is possible at home, because although the regime I was doing anyway is good I know it focuses to different degrees on different muscle groups than the BRNC initial military fitness stuff does).

Some phases go happy camping on the moor, some just get to camp out in the college grounds. The location really isnt that important, what the staff are trying to do is put you in stress positions and then see if you can plan/lead an evolution effectively in an emergency situation. By the end of any exercise everyone is hanging out their hoop; as the staff try to tread the fine line between exhausting and breaking you.

In the very distant past the staff could give physical and verbal abuse to throw you off your stride and stress you out; these days pretty much all they can do is tire you out physically and mentally. Being as fit as you can in mind and body will lower your tiredness levels and make you less stressed when confronting the assessed leadership elements.

As a FOSTie once told me "the stress is yours, what you feel is 90% of your own making, I just give you the 10% minimum to light your fuse and then we stand back to see if you explode".

You are on the right track, and closer to the time you will be put in contact with the RFA staff officer at BRNC and they will able to let you know how the course will be structured for your intake; we here (standfast him at Raleigh) can only talk of the past not the future.

Just make sure you are feeling rested by the time you get there, as it can be a tiring few weeks no matter how fit you are.

Legendary Fish

Midshipman
Hi everyone!

I just found out that I was successful at interview and should (providing everything goes well) be in the June intake. I was wondering if anyone has any information on what BRNC is currently like for RFA cadets, I've heard it's changed a fair bit recently so I'm not sure how much of the old information on here still stands. The recruiter I spoke to said that they've been having issues with people being underprepared so any information to help me prepare would be really helpful, thanks!
Hopefully will be seeing you there, as long as medical goes to plan! The recruiter on the phone recommended watching Officers and Gentlemen if you haven't already seen it, it was filmed in 2014 I think and concerns RN officers so RFA mileage will vary. Got a bit of a fright watching it, but now know what I could be in for.

There was an offer to have a Skype Q&A so hopefully can find out more but clearly will not hurt to get fit, while learning how to polish and iron. I am buzzing but also bricking it at the same time!

RFAHopeful

Midshipman
Back in the day some RFA intakes just did the RN's militarization phase, but that was and is not the norm.

Some phases go happy camping on the moor, some just get to camp out in the college grounds. The location really isnt that important, what the staff are trying to do is put you in stress positions and then see if you can plan/lead an evolution effectively in an emergency situation. By the end of any exercise everyone is hanging out their hoop; as the staff try to tread the fine line between exhausting and breaking you.

In the very distant past the staff could give physical and verbal abuse to throw you off your stride and stress you out; these days pretty much all they can do is tire you out physically and mentally. Being as fit as you can in mind and body will lower your tiredness levels and make you less stressed when confronting the assessed leadership elements.

As a FOSTie once told me "the stress is yours, what you feel is 90% of your own making, I just give you the 10% minimum to light your fuse and then we stand back to see if you explode".

You are on the right track, and closer to the time you will be put in contact with the RFA staff officer at BRNC and they will able to let you know how the course will be structured for your intake; we here (standfast him at Raleigh) can only talk of the past not the future.

Just make sure you are feeling rested by the time you get there, as it can be a tiring few weeks no matter how fit you are.
Thanks for all the advice, this is actually really very helpful, especially the quote about stress!

Hopefully will be seeing you there, as long as medical goes to plan! The recruiter on the phone recommended watching Officers and Gentlemen if you haven't already seen it, it was filmed in 2014 I think and concerns RN officers so RFA mileage will vary. Got a bit of a fright watching it, but now know what I could be in for.

There was an offer to have a Skype Q&A so hopefully can find out more but clearly will not hurt to get fit, while learning how to polish and iron. I am buzzing but also bricking it at the same time!
Oh great, good to know someone else here will be (potentially) in the same intake! Providing both our medicals go to plan that is.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger

Got to say, having gone through 3 FOST work-ups in 4 years thats a load of bollocks - with all due respects. They come on board and have a mindset to try and **** you over no matter what you do. I've been on crews where we've tried our best to deliver, but it's never good enough.

In my previous life I was a civvie firefighter for many years. What the FOSTies have read in BR's I've done for real. But when you try and question their thinking and their teaching they just end up getting personl and putting in complaints.

My advice when on Thursday wars - grin and think they're cocks, don't tell them though!

Random

Lantern Swinger
Beg to differ, but from my experience it's not bollocks.

Yes there are a lot of clueless Fosties out there who can't get it that an old fort or bay etc is not the type 42 they spent their career on, and so you would attack the fire in a different way than they desire (what's the point of 4 redundant fixed systems in the engine room, if you have to send an 8 man team in straight away).

However if you have watched the Bridge or HQ1 melt down and lose the plot because some bugger turned off the telephones then you will understand my point. Stress/panic is an internal battle. If you let the Fosties under your skin and upset you, then you have lost. As you say just grin and get on with it.