RFA benefits

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Kilted_sparky, Apr 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am still deciding which branch of RN to join and wondered if the RFA get the same benefits for married couples (quarters etc), any advise would be great.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Best bet? Give RFA Recruiting a call: 02392 726023
  3. I sometimes get a free Mcflurry at Mcdonalds, if that's of any help?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. free Mcflurry....right where do i sign :)
  5. Into the arms of your beloved family, or something like that :)
  6. Unlike the RN where you'll run into the arms of, er .........anyone really :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are plenty of examples of RFA officers and ratings living ' on base'. Several spend a couple of years living in Nelson Wardroom. They may go home at weekends like almost every other liver in but that's neither here nor there. The room, or suite is theirs for the duration.

You're a bit short in the milk tooth to be setting yourself up as RFA SME.

But for the OP, married quarters are not a benefit. Sea going appointments are relatively short, leave relatively long, no 'home port' as such. Go home.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I'm agreeing with Seadog here (yeah, I'm surprised too). Stop talking what you don't know about.
  9. Seadog

I should add that it's the (so disposed) officers who are to be seen living in Nelson and other Wardrooms. I've even seen RFA Officers in a pongo officers' mess and (not surprisingly) at JSCSC.

Ratings stay in their respective messes. There is often the choice of renting a flat for longer shore appointments ( all ranks and rates) but not MQs.
  10. Seadog

I was getting the two geese muddled. The better known one who doesn't come from Ryhope hasn't even started training yet. Yet he's dishing out (wrong) information.
    Wait until he finds himself living on a 'base' when he does start training.

I must resist the temptation to say 'knob'.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seadog

Thank you TFG for committing to sticking to what you know. The RFA officer and CPO overseeing your training may (R) may live on base. They are certainly entitled and will be members of their respective messes whether or not they live on board. Mess dinners, summer balls, they may be strutting their stuff.

The realisation that some in the RFA and RN don't restrict their contact with each other to RASing makes some fcuking dinosaurs uncomfortable. Don't be a dinosaur.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ok, I was wrong apparently, to a degree, Just repeating what I was told.
  13. The truth about working for the MoD:

What you think, what you get told, and what actually is; are normally three separate things.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  14. So true Bleeh, so true !