RFA benefits

Hi,

I am still deciding which branch of RN to join and wondered if the RFA get the same benefits for married couples (quarters etc), any advise would be great.

cheers

Seadog

War Hero
NO, The RFA are civilian staffed, meaning you don't live on base, you go home, wherever home is.
There are plenty of examples of RFA officers and ratings living ' on base'. Several spend a couple of years living in Nelson Wardroom. They may go home at weekends like almost every other liver in but that's neither here nor there. The room, or suite is theirs for the duration.

You're a bit short in the milk tooth to be setting yourself up as RFA SME.

But for the OP, married quarters are not a benefit. Sea going appointments are relatively short, leave relatively long, no 'home port' as such. Go home.

B

Bleeh

NO, The RFA are civilian staffed, meaning you don't live on base, you go home, wherever home is.
There are plenty of examples of RFA officers and ratings living ' on base'. Several spend a couple of years living in Nelson Wardroom, They may go home at weekends like almost every other liver in but that's neither here not there. The room, or suite is theirs for the duration.

You're a bit short in the milk tooth to be setting yourself up as RFA SME.

But for the OP, married quarters are not a benefit. Sea going appointments are relatively short, leave relatively long, no 'home port' as such. Go home.
I'm agreeing with Seadog here (yeah, I'm surprised too). Stop talking what you don't know about.

Seadog

War Hero
I should add that it's the (so disposed) officers who are to be seen living in Nelson and other Wardrooms. I've even seen RFA Officers in a pongo officers' mess and (not surprisingly) at JSCSC.

Ratings stay in their respective messes. There is often the choice of renting a flat for longer shore appointments ( all ranks and rates) but not MQs.

Seadog

War Hero
I was getting the two geese muddled. The better known one who doesn't come from Ryhope hasn't even started training yet. Yet he's dishing out (wrong) information.
Wait until he finds himself living on a 'base' when he does start training.

I must resist the temptation to say 'knob'.

FAIL.

Seadog

War Hero
Thank you TFG for committing to sticking to what you know. The RFA officer and CPO overseeing your training may (R) may live on base. They are certainly entitled and will be members of their respective messes whether or not they live on board. Mess dinners, summer balls, they may be strutting their stuff.

The realisation that some in the RFA and RN don't restrict their contact with each other to RASing makes some fcuking dinosaurs uncomfortable. Don't be a dinosaur.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jenny_Dabber The Fleet 3
Chalky Diamond Lil's 8
S The Fleet 18